Benchmade rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok, I sent off one of my benchmades for repair that I've used for years while working, was always a good knife, assisted opener, so it gets to the manufacturer and they call to tell me it's discontinued and no longer have replacement parts or blades for it any longer, so I ask them what am I supposed to do with a worn out knife, their first solution was send it back with a new edge on a worn out blade and a 30% off discount for a new knife, I said that wasn't going to work, fast forward about a week and the same woman calls and tells me now I'm going to get a $175 code to use on their website and she would take the shipping off my order, so I'm thinking, great, cool I get a new knife, fast forward another week or so, I finally get the code, I call about the shipping, after some moderate arguing they agree to eat the shipping, so I'm off to shopping, I picked out the CLA "composite light auto", but I could not check out with it, I call back and ask wth, I'm told since I'm not active duty or LE I cannot purchase a auto even if they are legal in Oklahoma, so basically I forced to pick from about 8 knives that somewhat fit the catagory of my previous knife, all of which would not have been ones that I would have previously looked at, I've since switch to ZT knives for everyday carry, just irks me somewhat that I cannot get my knife back and I'm forced to have a knife I really don't want and they rave about their warranty program, ya, I know, I should be glad I'm getting a knife but I still don't have what I started with and in my opinion I had to downgrade to get another, rant over

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You had a knife that you stated was “worn out” from the use you put the knife through and from that you expect the manufacturer to refurbish your knife or provide you with a discount for a new one? Do you think the same with cars and trucks? When you hit a certain mileage that the manufacturer should give you a rebuilt car/truck or a new one?

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You had a knife that you stated was “worn out” from the use you put the knife through and from that you expect the manufacturer to refurbish your knife or provide you with a discount for a new one? Do you think the same with cars and trucks? When you hit a certain mileage that the manufacturer should give you a rebuilt car/truck or a new one?
Ok, for one, I planned on purchasing a new blade, that's the only part on their knives that do not have a lifetime warranty, so when there's no parts to be had and I'm forced to downgrade, ya, I'm unhappy, have you personally dealt with benchmade warranty program? This is not a damn car or truck, this is a knife that the manufacturer says has a lifetime warranty minus the blade, so when the lifetime warranty cannot be upheld and I'm forced to purchase a knife that is not the same level as my previous knife was, ya, I'm gonna talk about it

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, for one, I planned on purchasing a new blade, that's the only part on their knives that do not have a lifetime warranty, so when there's no parts to be had and I'm forced to downgrade, ya, I'm unhappy, have you personally dealt with benchmade warranty program? This is not a damn car or truck, this is a knife that the manufacturer says has a lifetime warranty minus the blade, so when the lifetime warranty cannot be upheld and I'm forced to purchase a knife that is not the same level as my previous knife was, ya, I'm gonna talk about it

Gonna have to agree with the others, they gave you $175 and you STILL were whining about something. Further than they should've gone.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta say, I'm not sure there was a way for you to be satisfied by Benchmade. I think you're being unreasonable in this case. JMO, YMMV
Maybe so, maybe I'm not, they claim to stand behind everything they make, their words, they couldn't repair mine, and gave me a list basically of a few knives moderately close to what I had to choose from, pretty sure if you or anyone else on this forum had a piece that they were fond of and were forced to get rid of it in exchange for something of lesser value than you might, I may be wrong, be upset about it

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warranties don't apply to honest wear.

Gonna have to agree with the others, they gave you $175 and you STILL were whining about something. Further than they should've gone.
Ok, well the blade was honest wear, and once again like I said, I planned to purchase another blade, there was wear in their liner lock, and that's the part that would have been covered under warranty, they could not fix, so if they say lifetime warranty and cannot replace what I had, ya, I get a new knife, not the same quality but a new knife

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hahah I thought you were joking, but you're being serious. Wow.

What do you expect them to do? Pull the parts out of their ass and fix it for you? This is an amazing example of what customer service and warranty should be and you're on here bashing them. I would bet that the $175 credit is giving you back what you paid for it essentially... But what I am curious about is how do you know it's not the same quality? Obviously, the first one wasn't that good of quality or you would not be in this position in the first place. I think you need to put yourself in their position, what would you do in a this situation? Honestly, if you were Mr. Benchmade, what would you do in this situation if they had you as a customer?

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahah I thought you were joking, but you're being serious. Wow.

What do you expect them to do? Pull the parts out of their ass and fix it for you? This is an amazing example of what customer service and warranty should be and you're on here bashing them. I would bet that the $175 credit is giving you back what you paid for it essentially... But what I am curious about is how do you know it's not the same quality? Obviously, the first one wasn't that good of quality or you would not be in this position in the first place. I think you need to put yourself in their position, what would you do in a this situation? Honestly, if you were Mr. Benchmade, what would you do in this situation if they had you as a customer?
Well damn, guess I've been bested by you, there was a reason I've bought several benchmades, their warranty, I've sent a few in, it's never been a issue, was always simple, I paid for a new blade and they fixed whatever was broke or wore, if it was beyond repair they sent a new knife in return, ya, as I've said several times, I got a credit from them, my knife cost more than that but I was ok with it considering it had been USED, I had originally planned on chipping money in on something else, but I was not given that option, so when they discontinue my knife, tell me they have a lifetime warranty and cannot repair, guess like the title says, IM GOING TO RANT, I got the closest I could get to my knife, but it's not, my knife had titanium liners, new one will not, pretty sure right off that's a downgrade but what do I know, I'm sure you can put me in my rightful place, so please, carry on

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe so, maybe I'm not, they claim to stand behind everything they make, their words, they couldn't repair mine, and gave me a list basically of a few knives moderately close to what I had to choose from, pretty sure if you or anyone else on this forum had a piece that they were fond of and were forced to get rid of it in exchange for something of lesser value than you might, I may be wrong, be upset about it

If it broke due to mfg. defect? Sure! If I wore it out or broke it due to negligence? Not in the least. I've been on the hunt for another 805 TSEK for quite a while, just to have a backup to what I feel is the best EDC folder in existence, price notwithstanding. If something happens to the one I have, I know Benchmade won't be able to fix or replace it. They'll probably give me a credit like the did you, and I'll either put the replacement in the safe with my other Benchies, or sell it to cover the cost of buying a used 805.

Latest posts

Top Bottom