Benchmade rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get ready to deal with the same **** with ZT. I had an issue with a Kershaw auto knife (owned by same parent co.) and the lock failed immediately. I sent it in and they told me it had been discontinued so they could not repair it and it was against policy to send it back to me.

So I ask for a replacement auto knife to which they stated, the other auto knives they offer have a higher MSRP so I'd have to pay the difference or select a non-auto knife of equal or lesser value. Went round and round and up the ladder for over a month but no give. So basically in order to get an item back similar to what i sent in; I had to pay $30 for the new knife. Pisses me off to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you bought a Kershaw new and it failed immediately and it was discontinued immediately?

From what I understand ZT has a great reputation in CS but I've never had to use it, can't speak for Kershaw though.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it broke due to mfg. defect? Sure! If I wore it out or broke it due to negligence? Not in the least. I've been on the hunt for another 805 TSEK for quite a while, just to have a backup to what I feel is the best EDC folder in existence, price notwithstanding. If something happens to the one I have, I know Benchmade won't be able to fix or replace it. They'll probably give me a credit like the did you, and I'll either put the replacement in the safe with my other Benchies, or sell it to cover the cost of buying a used 805.

If they have a lifetime warrantee on the entire knife, with the exception of the blade, then they should replace regardless of what went wrong or why. If they don't make it anymore, they should replace with the next higher model with the same or better features.

My advice to the OP is to find a friend who is in the Military, or who is a cop, and have them use the code to order the Automatic Knife you want.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they have a lifetime warrantee on the entire knife, with the exception of the blade, then they should replace regardless of what went wrong or why. If they don't make it anymore, they should replace with the next higher model with the same or better features.

My advice to the OP is to find a friend who is in the Military, or who is a cop, and have them use the code to order the Automatic Knife you want.

Only that's not what the warranty says....

https://www.benchmade.com/warranty-service

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok, I sent off one of my benchmades for repair that I've used for years while working, was always a good knife, assisted opener, so it gets to the manufacturer and they call to tell me it's discontinued and no longer have replacement parts or blades for it any longer, so I ask them what am I supposed to do with a worn out knife, their first solution was send it back with a new edge on a worn out blade and a 30% off discount for a new knife, I said that wasn't going to work, fast forward about a week and the same woman calls and tells me now I'm going to get a $175 code to use on their website and she would take the shipping off my order, so I'm thinking, great, cool I get a new knife, fast forward another week or so, I finally get the code, I call about the shipping, after some moderate arguing they agree to eat the shipping, so I'm off to shopping, I picked out the CLA "composite light auto", but I could not check out with it, I call back and ask wth, I'm told since I'm not active duty or LE I cannot purchase a auto even if they are legal in Oklahoma, so basically I forced to pick from about 8 knives that somewhat fit the catagory of my previous knife, all of which would not have been ones that I would have previously looked at, I've since switch to ZT knives for everyday carry, just irks me somewhat that I cannot get my knife back and I'm forced to have a knife I really don't want and they rave about their warranty program, ya, I know, I should be glad I'm getting a knife but I still don't have what I started with and in my opinion I had to downgrade to get another, rant over

Looking at what the warrantee says, they will fix anything that is caused by manufacturer defect. There is nothing in the warrantee that says they have to keep making parts so that you can keep getting your knife repaired by them, even if you are paying for the repairs.

If you bought a new car, and they stop making that model, and after a certain timeframe you can't get parts anymore, would that be the fault of the manufacturer? Not.

I think they went above and beyond what would be considered good customer service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom