best travel coffee cup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no secret science to the Yeti's, Rtics, or the clones. Its just a sealed vacuum container like the old coffee thermoses. They have an open top and much easier to clean than a thermos jug. My buddy is selling Rtics for $15 now, and making a killing on facebook.
Theres no vacuum between the inner and outer shell, its just dead air space which is the working theory behind insulating anything. Heat can not transfer between planes separated by dead air space such as a double pain window.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats not long? My 20 oz. Rtic keeps it pretty warm till well into the afternoon. Not "hot" but certainly warm enough to drink it without needing reheated.
I'm drinking it now with half a mug left and its very warm at 2:00 pm and I filled it at 8:00. Maybe it wont do as well in winter but I'm anxious to see.

Don't know if it keeps longer. I've consumed all of it by then if not sooner. On a road trip it kept ice for at least 12 hours.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theres no vacuum between the inner and outer shell, its just dead air space which is the working theory behind insulating anything. Heat can not transfer between planes separated by dead air space such as a double pain window.
Yes, there are vacuums in the better containers. A vacuum insulates better than normal air pressure, and the better containers warranty the vacuum if it is lost.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, there are vacuums in the better containers. A vacuum insulates better than normal air pressure, and the better containers warranty the vacuum if it is lost.
Lmao, a total vacuum? Lmao OK. It's not a complete vacuum dude, I've seen much more robust vessels implode under 15" of vacuum. Maybe 1" which is a marginal marketing trick at best. And it doesn't exactly "insulate" better but it does change the dynamics of the thermal exchange via temperature versus pressure (or lack of pressure in this scenario). Thermal dynamics isn't hard if you wanna get into it. Just math on a pretty advanced level.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lmao, a total vacuum? Lmao OK. It's not a complete vacuum dude, I've seen much more robust vessels implode under 15" of vacuum. Maybe 1" which is a marginal marketing trick at best. And it doesn't exactly "insulate" better but it does change the dynamics of the thermal exchange via temperature versus pressure (or lack of pressure in this scenario). Thermal dynamics isn't hard if you wanna get into it. Just math on a pretty advanced level.

Coleman has been building vacuum based thermos containers for many years.
http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2014/06/science-behind-yeti/

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I never said "complete vacuum". I said they are sealed under vacuum, which they are, and if you puncture one (that is still under vacuum), you'll hear it taking in air to equalize the pressure. What about the thermal dynamics do you want to discuss?

Latest posts

Top Bottom