Bluing? Hot or cold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve decided to get my very first rifle back up to speed. It’s a Springfield model 15. It had a rough life and most of it was my fault. Anyhow I’m looking to get it blued. Anyone had good luck with cold blue or should I get it done professionally?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used cold blue on a few firearms. It’s probably more of a minor repair option as opposed to a whole gun finish, which I’ve done. I doubt cold blue’s ability to be a quality finish that will last. You would probably have to touch it up often and it can come out uneven in color. It also smells like the arse of a dead cat, like forever. It’s very funky and odiferous. If you have the funds to send it out for professional hot blueing you won’t be disappointed.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve decided to get my very first rifle back up to speed. It’s a Springfield model 15. It had a rough life and most of it was my fault. Anyhow I’m looking to get it blued. Anyone had good luck with cold blue or should I get it done professionally?
I’ve cold blued a few rifles and recently through an acquaintance have had the opportunity to hot blue a couple.
Cold bluing is thin and week compared to hot bluing. You can get a decent finish from it if you do the proper prep work. That’s the same story with hot bluing but if you leave a little rust for the cold blue to find it will exaggerate it and it will continue to deteriorate at an accelerated rate. From my experience this alone is a big enough reason to avoid cold bluing an entire rifle.
Hot bluing requires a larger set up but the quality and longevity is way better.
If you contact southern gun works in chandler they can get your rifle hot blued at a really reasonable price and you’ll be way happier with it.

Either choice I’m glad you’re cleaning up the old gun.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used cold blue on a few firearms. It’s probably more of a minor repair option as opposed to a whole gun finish, which I’ve done. I doubt cold blue’s ability to be a quality finish that will last. You would probably have to touch it up often and it can come out uneven in color. It also smells like the arse of a dead cat, like forever. It’s very funky and odiferous. If you have the funds to send it out for professional hot blueing you won’t be disappointed.
The odor also seems to cling to your sense of smell. I smell it in random places after I use a cold blue. I’ve told my self I’m wearing a mask next time I use it.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cold bluing doesn't look good, and it doesn't last. Hot bluing, when done properly, looks really fantastic and will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Last edited:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wood is coming along nicely, several camo paint jobs removed and some repairs done and it’s looking good. Gotta get the paint off the metal and get it blued. Will check into getting it professionally hot blued. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 1FFC3642-97D4-4FF2-AFA3-91F505F1C88C.jpeg
    1FFC3642-97D4-4FF2-AFA3-91F505F1C88C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can rust blue it yourself. Member TedKennedy posted a couple pics of guns he’s done for himself. YouTube channel Mark Novak of Anvil Gunsmithing has a few videos on the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom