Colorado Becomes First State to End Marijuana Prohibition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all in the interpretation...

The Constitution is a written instrument. As such, its meaning does not alter. That which it meant when it was adopted, it means now.
South Carolina v. United States, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905).

"It is literally true that the U.S. Supreme Court has entirely liberated itself from the text of the Constitution."
- US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 128 S. Ct.
2783, 2788 (2008) (quoting United States v. Sprague,
282 U.S. 716, 731 (1931)). “Constitutional rights are
enshrined with the scope they were understood to
have when the people adopted them, whether or not
future legislatures or (yes) even future judges think
that scope too broad.”
Id. at 2821.

I agree. I advocate removing the ability to interpret that particular section.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so apparently that girl i went to HS with that i mentioned had a hand in this law. She's helping write the ins and outs of the law and its provisions.

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, that Tenth Amendment is a powerful thing. Last time it worked was 1861.

The Real ID Act was nullified, beginning with the state of Maine in 2007. I invite you to the Tenth Amendment Center to further your education and arm yourself with the truth. Nullification isn't well known but it that is changing.

Guys and gals, please understand that any law made by the federal government must be made in PURSUANCE OF the enumerated powers of Article 1, Section 8. The Commerce Clause, General Welfare Clause and Supremecy Clause require laws made to be in PURSUANCE OF enumerated powers. Any law made that is not connected to those enumerated powers is null and void.

SCOTUS has no say on laws that are not enumerated. Read Jefferson's and Madison's Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. The states have the final say. Remember, the SC, along with Congress and the Executive, have a vested interest in growing the power of the federal government, not limiting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxxJYbZktyQ&sns=em

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's all in the interpretation...

True. The problem is when the courts seek intrepetation from places other than historical commentary. Many Americans forget that although the Framers wrote the Constitution, it was the Ratifiers (the respective states) that enacted the Constitution with their affirmation. Thus, it was the states that created the federal goverment with their vote in favor. Rhode Island didn't vote in the affirmative until the Constitution was already in effect, meaning they were not a part of the union until then and were still seperate and sovereign. Had they not ratified they would be a country unto themselves. This is why the ratifying debates in the several state legislatures are important historically. From those debates we can ascertain how they understood the individual clauses to mean. Several of the states invited a few of the Drafters to their floors to explain what was meant for clarification. Once assured that the federal government had strict limits of enumerated powers, only then did they ratify.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they wanted to treat it like booze, regulate and tax the growers and the sales of pot, I would have far less problems with it being legal.
Not the Fed...no freakin' way!
I mean, I have a sneakin' suspicion that the tax income wouldn't quite hold a candle to having an entire federal agency created to deal with it....and any inter-agency coop.
Plus they can of course sieze all property/monies associated. (then resell the drugs on the street according to some)

Just think of all the dopers sliding down hills trying to ski.
You make it sound like there will suddenly be an onslaught of stoned skiiers/boarders...
:)

Hey, when you're honked, your senses are enhanced.
Eh....not mine, cap'n.

JP on weed = FAIL
:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom