Computer Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a laptop that I'd like to make some changes to. The drive is full and I want to delete some stuff that I no longer want and keep some programs that I paid for and still use. I originally thought about deleting everything and starting over, but I have no way of reinstalling the programs I want to keep.

Is there a way to do this?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the files you want to delete? If it's things like photos/videos, etc. then all you have to do is locate them and delete them (be sure to empty the trashcan as well).

Have you thought about just adding on a new hard drive and using that for storage along with what came with the computer?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an external drive just so that I could save photos and stuff like that. I have deleted everything from the trashcan as I go. I went through the section to uninstall programs and files, deleted some, but there are some that are not on the list. I looked through the file explorer and deleted a few things there.

The programs I want to keep on this computer are....
Adobe Acrobat and reader
Windows Office
iTunes
Safari

There may be a couple more, but those are the main ones. I want iTunes to support my phone and iPad. I think Safari is part of the iTunes package and supports the devices. Everything else can go.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a bigger drive and clone it. Then replace the one in the laptop with the new one

I have no idea how to clone a drive or replace one. My computer skills are VERY limited. If it were cloned, could I just copy/paste the programs I want and let the rest go?

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Fyrtwuck, to clone a drive means to (usually by using some program, free or paid) copy a drive in its entirety and place all the contents in another location (doctorjj recommended using a larger hard drive). It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what sort of data (pictures, videos, powerpoints, database files, etc.) is taking up all that room on your hard drive. Take some time 'exploring' File Explorer and figure out what folders are the big problems.

IMO, I'd recommend trying to clean up what you have rather than reinstalling Windows, if your computer knowledge is limited you might bite off more than you can chew--and then you could be without a workable computer for several days.

If you ever make your way out to OKC I'd be happy to meet up with you and take a look at it!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Fyrtwuck, to clone a drive means to (usually by using some program, free or paid) copy a drive in its entirety and place all the contents in another location (doctorjj recommended using a larger hard drive). It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what sort of data (pictures, videos, powerpoints, database files, etc.) is taking up all that room on your hard drive. Take some time 'exploring' File Explorer and figure out what folders are the big problems.

IMO, I'd recommend trying to clean up what you have rather than reinstalling Windows, if your computer knowledge is limited you might bite off more than you can chew--and then you could be without a workable computer for several days.

If you ever make your way out to OKC I'd be happy to meet up with you and take a look at it!

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Blanchard. A visit to Okc is not a problem.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to clone the drive to a larger hard drive, check out a startech duplicator. You plug in the drives, hold down the copy button until it turns red, then press start. It doesn't get any easier.

Another option is to use Macrium Reflect, which is free software. Even though it's free you'll need to run it on another computer and some way to dock your hard drives to that computer.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally start fresh with a new drive. Most of the time the software can easily be reinstalled and you are more often than not going to be clearing out some stuff that was causing slowdowns anyway. Even if you didn't notice them before the new drive you will likely notice after a fresh install.

If you REALLY can't find install discs/replacements for your programs then you will likely have to pull the drive out that is currently in the computer and find some way to clone it. If you already have a desktop with open connections (assuming that the laptop is using SATA connectors) then all you need to do is drop the new and old drive in and then clone the one to the other. And as mentioned if you are technically challenged you can get a standalone cloner and use it then just sell it or trade it for something else.

If you are lucky enough to have a laptop with two fixed drive bays (not very common unless you bought a gaming or desktop replacement style computer) you could just install a new drive in the second bay and transfer your documents and downloads to the second drive and run with business as usual.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for their advice and help. Hawkman met with me and had a LOT of junk deleted in what seemed minutes.

Thanks again Hawkman. If you need something I can provide don't hesitate to contact me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom