Cowboy Hats: Felt, or Straw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Palm leaf. Only way to go in the summer. Mine has natural vents from time and wear. You can get it wet, and put what ever crease/pinch you want in it.

[Broken External Image]

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are actual hat commandments. I will post them later. You can wear felt all year 'round. Lastly, surjimmy has at least one straw hat.

DAMAGAN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got a felt for the winter and dressing up and then straw hats for working when there is a chance of rain or when you are going to get really dirty and a palm leaf for normal work days and pretty much all summer. Like mentioned before if you get tired of your old crown or brim style just dip it in the sink and change it up. But dont get a Bret Micheals hat unless you are in a fraternity or my wife lol.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Larry-Hagman-as-JR-Ewing_Rolex_Day-Date.jpg

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wear a hat year round. The etiquette I was taught was a felt from labor day thru Easter Sunday , then a straw after that. I wear a natural colored felt from labor day till about the 15 th of October. Some say its okay to wear a natural colored felt all year. I know some guys that do. I prefer american hat company felts and straws. I also wear at least a 4 1/2 in brim. For my dressy straw I bought a 5 in brim American this year and really like it( im 6'2" with a slim frame and wider brims shaped right look well on me)Their felts are as good as any u have worn. Thin crisp and hold their shape well. For super special occasions in the fall I've got a pure beaver buckskin, looks super sharp with a starched shirt tie and sports coat. I highly recommend asking for mike Wolfe at teners in Okc he is the best hatter I have found in the area. As far as palm leafs go look into sun body hats I don't wear palms as they are heavy and will Mildew and stink if your head sweats at all. Just my 2cents.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up an inexpensive palm leaf hat from Cavenders today (they're on sale for 25% off - FYI). I'll see how much I wear it versus my ball caps, and if I end up liking it, I'll throw down for a nicer straw cap.

Thanks guys for the recommendations, the jabs, and the humour :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom