Coyote hunting in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Scott, exactly what I was looking for. Makes even more sense to have both! What is your preferred choke?

not trying to answer this all but here is what scott did on his last cat--- OKHUNTER: I used a 3" Winchester predator load in b shot. Federal makes a good copper plated bb that works real good and is a lot cheaper. 00 isn't legal anyway. I've killed a few coyotes out past 50 yards but you need to know what your gun will do out that far.

i think the shot and your gun and or barrell length would maybe determine your choke? (i'm not much of a shotgunner but guessing this?)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess patterning would best determine your choke. Could a turkey choke give you a tighter pattern out further, and would that be better desired? I'll probably be using a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, believe it has a 24 inch barrel. Have an improved, modified and turkey choke.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've just always used modifieds in my O/U waterfowl/turkey/crane gun. 3" #2's usually. I don't have any turkey chokes for it though. You been seeing any coyotes in the Backwoods area lately?

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess patterning would best determine your choke. Could a turkey choke give you a tighter pattern out further, and would that be better desired? I'll probably be using a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, believe it has a 24 inch barrel. Have an improved, modified and turkey choke.
You will get lots of opinions on this. Some people like their gun choked really tight to stretch out a long way. I saw a guy kill a fox in Arizona a couple of years ago at 90 yards with a gun that was choked extra full.
For me I like a modified choke. A coyote running full out through thick brush is no easy shot to make even at close range.
I want my shot to open up a little more so I don't usually use anything but the modified choke. You still need to put it on paper and know what your gun will do at 10, 20, 30... Whatever the distance is you plan to shoot. Diffent shells will all perform a little different just like in your rifle. If your gun is choked real tight and you have a coyote charge in at say 15-20 yards for example you really are not gaining much over using a rifle.
This is just my opinion brother, but its what works for me.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just always used modifieds in my O/U waterfowl/turkey/crane gun. 3" #2's usually. I don't have any turkey chokes for it though. You been seeing any coyotes in the Backwoods area lately?

Every day. Til I go down and set up for them, then I never see them! Got about a 200 acre hay meadow behind me on the river that I see them on every time I go down there. There isn't a tree or bush one to set up on though. Rancher has cut timber off years ago all the way up to the river's edge nearly. Quite heavy on the gophers, I guess that's what they're out there after.

Thanks for all the info okhunter! If I manage to find the dumbest coyote in the county, I'll post a pic.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the information can be found by a simple google search, but the real way to learn is to go out and do it. Everybody has their own way of doing thing and apparantly everybody is an expert at everything, just ask em. I just got tired of saying the samething over and over again every few months.

What could be so special about killing a coyote that you wouldn't want to help someone become a better hunter?
I have no answer to that.

...maybe he found out his secrets weren't worth giving out! hehe
You're right. I have no idea what I'm doing or how to call coyotes.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you can google search it. Find tons of stuff on the topic. Or you can come to our local community on OSA and discuss it with fellow Okies that have experienced it, both successful and unsuccessful. I do both, but I like hearing some of these guys that are experienced and successful and get their input. If you change your mind, we're all ears.

Latest posts

Top Bottom