CPAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can use a nasal pillow do it. It is a little more comfortable.
My mom and dad both use one. My mom uses the nasal pillow and my dad uses the nostril one. I have tried both and if I ever have to use one I will definitely be using the pillow. Took my mom about a week to adjust. My dad had that surgery back in the early 90's and it did nothing to help his sleep apnea. He said that was the worst experience of his life. And my dad has a very high pain tolerance. I remember how bad he looked in the hospital. I know that they both feel much better now that they have their machines. Get the right one though. My dad had to recently get a different one because his old one didn't do the job right.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First time I used mine was the best sleep ever, haven't used mine in awhile. Most people I know stop using them after 5 yrs or so. Wife was told to get a sleep study, but she won't...

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a CPAP for 4 years and I love it! I use the nasal pillows. I buy my masks on CPAP.com, because if for some reason you don't like a mask you can return it. This is really important for those just starting to use a CPAP. It can take awhile to find a good mask in the beginning. I couldn't sleep without a CPAP machine.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Resmed Airosense 10 is what they gave me along with a full face mask. The 1st two weeks I was having 8 or more Apnea events an hour. I then bought a Dreamwear mask that sits right below your nose. This mask is like it isn't there (except when it isn't there b/c if came off) and it cut down the apnea events to less than two per hour. Love it but keeping the full face mask in the event my nose is stuffed up from a cold, etc.
After the initial sleep study they said I wouldn't need any more since the machine logs my sleep pattern and that would be all the info needed and that the technician who receives the info over the built in modem could make changes to the machines settings as needed. 6 weeks of CPAP and glad I took the step.
Remote access to a medical device would make me uncomfortable.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THis is all I found on their site but the DME (machine supplier) explained that it could be controlled remotely.

"ResMed Air Solutions provides an out-of-the-box, completely seamless connection between you and your patients throughout the treatment journey. Beginning at diagnosis, patients are connected seamless, as soon as their ApneaLink™ Air home sleep test results are uploaded to a secure database in the cloud and can be referred to care providers for a fast and easy setup.

Once your patients start therapy, you can stay more connected with them than ever before thanks to the wireless technology built into all AirSense™ 10 and AirCurve™ 10 therapy devices. Every device comes wireless-enabled — no module or SD card needed. This makes accessing nightly patient therapy data fast and easy, so you can quickly intervene with those who are noncompliant.

With AirView™, physicians, clinicians and care providers can seamlessly collaborate by storing all the patient’s diagnostic, prescription and therapy information in a single secure location. Sleep labs can move a patient through testing and onto therapy entirely within AirView, and you can connect with the rest of your patients’ care teams to make device settings changes remotely."

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure they have some sort of security measures in place, but I've been in IT too long and dealt with security issues too much to trust remote access to something medical.

Of course, I also came across this thread after reading about things like ovens and refrigerators being used as bots for large scale distributed denial of service attacks. Everyone has their own comfort level with security - I just view any network-enabled device the same as just another computer like my desktop or laptop.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After they put one on me during the sleep study I wanted to take it with me. First good sleep I'd had in years.
I use a full face mask. No trouble at all adapting to it. I think I've been conditioned now, I put it on and generally I'm asleep in just a few minutes.
The only downside is the space it takes up in the carry on bag.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I have the nasal pillows, and it really isn't as bad as I expected.

My first night with my "new friend" was last Thursday, so I'm very new to the experience. I think I'm adapting pretty well, but wanted some real life reviews of the process.

My wife has been saying for years that I needed this, and then when I had a knee replacement earlier this year and the doc told her while I was in recovery that I really needed to get it done.

I love OSA. There are always folks ready to offer advice (most of it good).

Thanks all!

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used most of the masks and find the nasal pillows are the best. I use water but no matter what device I use my mouth and throat get very dried out. The VA finally gave me a chin strap to keep my big trap shut.

To me the worst part of the whole experience was the sleep study. It was more like a sleep deprivation study. Every time I would get to sleep they would wake me up. I don't know if that was normal but it was really pissing me off after a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom