CPAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...To me the worst part of the whole experience was the sleep study. It was more like a sleep deprivation study. Every time I would get to sleep they would wake me up. I don't know if that was normal but it was really pissing me off after a while.[/QUOTE]

THIS! Yeah, it was a rough night for sure doing that darn sleep study, but the outcome is good. Remember when they used to say: "Awww, he died in his sleep; peacefully." What they should have probably been saying is: "The poor sucker died struggling for air; if he'd not been so stubborn and done a sleep study and got a CPAP, he'd probably still be around now to see his kids grow up".

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...I love OSA. There are always folks ready to offer advice (most of it good).

Thanks all![/QUOTE]

Awwww. That's so sweet! :kiss:

(Hee hee hee; just yankin' yer chain)

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me years, but recently I figured out that I could order all of my CPAP supplies (mask, cushions, hoses, etc) off of Amazon for less than my copay when ordering through the local CPAP supply house and it's much less frustrating.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started sleeping with a CPAP unit in Nov 1994. I have slept with it all but 4 nights since then. I can't say it was comfortable right off, but I slept a lot better right from the first night. By the end of the first week I was comfortable with the unit. I started out with nasal pillows and used those up until about 2 years ago. I started mouth-breathing pretty badly and went to a regular mask and started wearing a chin strap to stop the mouth breathing. The chin strap is a lot more uncomfortable than the CPAP mask (I have a beard and it pulls the hair). For the last several years, I've bought all my supplies and 2 replacement CPAP units off the internet. My insurance has paid on both units after I've convinced them that I don't need another sleep study and they make out financially. My settings haven't changed since day one. I do mess with the pressure settings every once in a while, but always come back to the original settings. I have never used ramping.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I first used one 15 years ago (moderate sleep apnea) and had no problems getting used to it and loved it. After 5 years for some reason I started having problems using it, just couldn't get comfortable. I had lost 45 lbs and decided to quite using it. A year or so later did another sleep test and my apnea had improved but still had mild sleep apnea. I couldn't get used to the new masks or cpap so I quit using it. I will say that that test was a bad one as the staff didn't know what they were doing so I figured I really didn't need one. This summer the VA sent me for a new sleep study and the doctor said I had such borderline mild sleep apnea that I really didn't need a cpap but could use one if I wished. If I didn't use a cpap he said to to sleep on my side as that is the best way to sleep. I still do use mine off and on but really can't tell the difference in my sleep. I also suffer from allergies and a stopped up head and using a cpap doesn't work to well.
I really think the sleep test can be a joke as they hook you up with all these leads and tell you not to move an around. You can't sleep on your side and it's a strange bed/pillow and they do seem to keep messing with you. Getting up to pee is a real pain too.

Last week I read an article that said the most restive sleep was on your side and sleeping on your back was the worst way to sleep. With my cpap and mask I have to sleep on my back so now I figure I'll just sleep on my side with no cpap.

If your overweight the best thing to do is lose that excess weight, it really does help.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just joined the club, and wondering about your experiences. How long did it take to get used to it? Etc.?
I slept 12 hrs straight the first night I had my machine. Had been undiagnosed and so sleep deprived for the previous years my health and mental condition was starting to suffer.

Have had the machine for almost 2 years, haven't missed a night. Even have a Deep cycle battery and DC hookup in reserve for if the power goes out. If you truly need it, it will be easy to get used to. It's a life changer.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did you come to realize you might need this device or to do the sleep study? Surely y'all didnt do a sleep study for the fun of it. Did a doc recommend it? the wife? the dog?

Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did you come to realize you might need this device or to do the sleep study? Surely y'all didnt do a sleep study for the fun of it. Did a doc recommend it? the wife? the dog?
Snored, talked in sleep, tired all the time even after getting what I thought was a full nights sleep. Was taking OTC sleep aids, still tired. Taking lots of coffee and 5 hr energy to make it thru work. Fall asleep multiple times sitting in a chair watching TV. Hard to stay awake in a deer stand. I was physically and mentally worn down. Couldn't concentrate, thought I was losing my marbles. I had probably been getting bad sleep for many years and it just all finally caught up with me at one point.

Asked the Dr. about getting a sleep study done, he concurred and wrote the prescription, and the rest is history.

I failed the first sleep study, couldn't get to sleep with all the wires, had to come back and take it a second time with a prescription sleep aid, so bear that in mind.

I averaged 150 apneas/hr. and at one point my O2 level dropped down to 55%. That's when they stopped my test and put me on the machine. I was at dangerous levels.

Apnea can cause a wide range of problems with heart attacks, stroke, etc. It's nothing to be taken lightly.

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just started 3 years ago after making fun of my wife using one. Nasal pillows works great for me, because I sleep on my side and with my mouth closed. If you sleep with you mouth open then your best bet is a mask. I've seen both a full face mask and one that covers just your nose and mouth.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to chime in on this...sleep study in '95, pulmonologist said I had so many events per hour they almost couldn't track the count. Went home with a machine, haven't been without it since. When I get a bad head cold or sinus crap, I pay a dear price for it, because I can't do the CPAP during those bouts.
Sleeping without it is almost impossible altogether, and if I DO it, the next day I have such bad head, and overall lack of energy, mental sharpness, it is just unbelievable.
Since I also have a high BMI, and I'm hypertensive, Type 2 diabetic (controlled), sleep apnea could REALLY be bad for me....so I stay on course.
Be aware if you lose power, and your machine does NOT have auto battery backup, you need to figure that out. Don't ask me how I discovered it using my trailer camping one time.... it was NOT pretty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom