Crimea votes for secession .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's "secede" and "secession". From what I hear, a number of other countries besides the US aren't recognizing the outcome of this vote. I wonder if it's because the vote went the "wrong" way, but if it had gone toward staying with Ukraine, these countries would have accepted the outcome?

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's "secede" and "secession". From what I hear, a number of other countries besides the US aren't recognizing the outcome of this vote. I wonder if it's because the vote went the "wrong" way, but if it had gone toward staying with Ukraine, these countries would have accepted the outcome?

I apologises four the mess spelled woords inn tha title, wiht all mi hart.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Isn't it strange how the dear rulers always preach "democracy" and the "will of the people" until it doesn't go the way they want. Then it's illegitimate and they won't recognize it. We need to sit this one out.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand there's the will of the people but on the other hand Ukraine is a sovereign nation. How would we feel if Mexico invaded certain portions of south Texas and California and then put it to a vote of the people there as to what nation they wanted to belong to?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand there's the will of the people but on the other hand Ukraine is a sovereign nation. How would we feel if Mexico invaded certain portions of south Texas and California and then put it to a vote of the people there as to what nation they wanted to belong to?

Since when is Crimea a state of the United States, or even a U.S. protectorate???

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it's funny that one country (Russia), invades another country, (Ukraine), and no shots are fired. Not only that but Ukraine tosses out their leader and then there's a vote for secession (Crimea)......and we (U.S.) impose sanctions by freezing assets and revoking visas on 11...ELEVEN...yes one one... Members of Russian govt.

What a joke!!!! This is about as close as DOING NOTHING as ya can get and still do nothing.

This whole thing has SHAM written all over it. How do you overthrow a your president, get invaded and watch as a chunk of your country secedes? Yalls right, we shouldn't get involved or do anything AND WE HAVENT.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember the elected government of the Ukraine was overthrown.

“Crimea was, is, and will be our territory,” Defense Minister Ihor Tenyukh declared in a statement delivered at the Ukrainian Crisis Media Center. “Ukrainian forces will stay [in Crimea] until all their tasks have been completed.”
U.S. State Department favorite Vitali Klitschko, who was passed over for central banker Arseniy Yatsenyuk to lead the coup government, said Ukrainian troops will stay in Crimea.
Klitscho cited a March 16 peace treaty agreement allowing Ukrainian soldiers to move freely in Crimea. According to Tenyukh, the Russians thus far have respected the agreement. Ukraine has used it to resupply troops on the peninsula.
The Russians, however, expect Ukraine to honor the deadline of the treaty, set for March 21, and leave Crimea.
Ukrainian President Oleksandr Turchynov said the junta will do everything possible to prevent war, but said “the threat of war is real… We are strengthening our defense capacity. Ukraine is ready to defend its territory.”
The Verkhovna Rada, the Ukrainian parliament, has set aside 6.7 billion hryvnia, more than $600 million, to strengthen the country’s military forces and mobilize the armed forces for the possibility of war. The mobilization, Tenyukh told the KyivPost, is intended to bring the military to “full readiness.”
“Our army should be ready for combat,” said Pavlo Petrenko, Ukraine’s Justice Minister.
In addition to an influx of money, the coup government has called up 40,000 troops and has called on reservists to prepare for war.
“This is our land,” acting coup Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk told a crowd gathered at the Kyiv statue dedicated to writer and nationalist Taras Shevchenko earlier this month. “Our fathers and grandfathers have spilled their blood for this land. And we won’t budge a single centimeter from Ukrainian land. Let Russia and its president know this.”
On Sunday, Yatsenyuk promised to hunt down and bring Crimean separatists to justice. “We will find all of them - if it takes one year, two years - and bring them to justice and try them in Ukrainian and international courts. The ground will burn under their feet,” he said.
The coup leaders on Sunday announced an effort to bolster Ukraine’s newly created National Guard. “It will have training centers, legal weapons will be distributed. You will have the opportunity to defend the country, with the forces of the National Guard and the security forces,” Yatsenyuk told a cabinet meeting.
On Saturday, during a trip to Ukraine, Senator John McCain called on the Obama administration to arm the junta. “They only have a few thousand combat troops and would be overwhelmed by the Russians if it came to that. One of their urgent requests is to have us supply them with weapons,” McCain said. “I will be urging our administration to arrange that transfer as quickly as possible.”

Let Ukraine and Russia work it out, we have no business there. The news keeps saying our .gov and the EU will not let this stand.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I get your point, but you'd have to make an apples to apples comparison. Crimea is the equivalent of a state with it's own legislature/parlament that favors Russia, a majority ethnic Russian population, and existing agreements and treaties with Russia that allow for a robust presence of Russian troops....

Texas and California do not look anything like Crimea in that regard. If they did, Mexico could f-ing have 'em both.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doesnt matter whether anyone recognizes the vote or not. those same countries recognized Russia, and now Crimea is a part of them, legit or not.
Putin is an old school Soviet, through and through. However, he is also a realist. I dont think the build up of forces at the border has to do with an invasion, rather it is to dissuade any military response to reclaim the peninsula.
Putin is happy letting the turmoil rage in eastern Ukraine as it weakens the rest of the country. If that weakening persists, and it is in Putin's favor to take the rest of the country then he will. At this point he has what he came for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom