Darn it--- short throat .223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot this rifle again yesterday.
This time it was a little more windy but not awful.
This load is H335 at 25.5gr in Norma cases with 50gr V-max bullets seated 2.255" and CCI 450 primers.

.440" center to center for 4 shots sent as quick as I could get them on paper.
Shot #5 I let a friend shoot and he shot at a shoot and see target and nailed the center.
Here is the 4 shot group from yesterday.
Shooting off a wobbly plastic fold up table. 104 yards.
I sure like the solid concrete benches at the Lexington WMA range.

I shot other loads and found you really need to apply same pressure to the stock as free recoil vs solid against shoulder will string the shots horizontally in this rifle.
Pretty dang good! I was at LWMA yesterday for most the day. Has a lot of fun

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only had to buy a couple tools I have never pulled barrel or stuck one on until this.
But the JB weld has been my friend for decades and the flimsy stock most swap out and toss the flimsy one.

My mind works different. If I am going to toss something in the trash anyway then no harm in trying to tweak it for the price of a burger meal.

:)
You sound like you could've been one of the NASA engineers from the Apollo 13 mission that made the CO2 scrubber from miscellaneous stuff aboard the space craft.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the fat barrel rifle will get the barrel twisted in about .018"-.020" more.

After shooting it a few times and measuring some cases the shoulder Ogive is getting pushed out that much after firing it.
Cases are growing too long too fast.
I built another and it is a skinny barrel .223 Axis again.
It began life as a 22" long barrel and I cut it to 18" last night.

I set it up to have slight drag with a full length resized case.
Just a little extra pressure to close the bolt handle.

Results for that little experiment was a case that was fired measures .001" longer at the Shoulder Ogive than a full length sized case.
Brass should last longer.

Resizing that low growth vs high growth case you can definitely tell.
Kind of like AR vs bolt gun brass when resizing.

We will see if accuracy suffers.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sound like you could've been one of the NASA engineers from the Apollo 13 mission that made the CO2 scrubber from miscellaneous stuff aboard the space craft.
That was pure genius in the innovation, explanation, and execution of the solution.

Along with that is the shutting down of the circuits to effect the minimal amperage to save battery life and maintain a livable spacecraft then still be revivable to make it back to Earth.

Genius!

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swampratt puts MacGyver to shame
341061-2f8cb6edd60f71fee60c028c263f036c.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom