Deer Processing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That communal hamburger thing should be an absolute deal-breaker.
Some people do not know how to handle a deer in the field.
It's why so many people think that venison tastes skunky.

+1000 on that.
If I ever found out my processor did that, it would be the last deer he did for me. Fortunatly for me my processor and I have been buddies before he got into the business, and when you take your deer in, you get YOUR deer out. He's real good about leaving them hang in big coolers to get the tenderness going.
What a lot of people don't understand is that when you take your animal in all covered in gut shot gore, and mud in the innards, the state meat inspectors don't allow the processor to do a lot of cleaning with water, as the water can carry some bugs. I don't buy all that, but thats what another processor told me a few years back.
I've always taken them home or to the farm, where they get hung, and rinsed out really good. As always the first stop is to get bags of ice to cool the meat until it can get home for a cleaning, then the ice goes back in the cavity and off to be processed.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We've used the Welty guy before. Also Pully & Shorty. But I thought Shorty was suppose to close up shop so I'm not sure he will be working this season. I've not heard of Bethels. Will it be in the phone book?

Don't know if they're in the phone book or not, one of the guys I work with bow hunts and he said he uses the Stubblefields alot for his processing.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taxidermy & Deer Processing
(918) 224-8562
6541 S 161st West Ave, Sapulpa, OK 74066
i have not used this place but a friend has and he said it was good and everything you get back is all your kill.

i sometimes use al's northwest of sand springs out by anderson school (918)245-7392

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bypass all that crap and do it myself. Pack the cavity with ice, and betwixed the rear legs, rope and tarp, filet knives and a hamilton beach mixer with the meat grinder attachment and a foodsaver, my brother and i did 6 deer in about 6 hours....

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taxidermy & Deer Processing
(918) 224-8562
6541 S 161st West Ave, Sapulpa, OK 74066
i have not used this place but a friend has and he said it was good and everything you get back is all your kill.

i sometimes use al's northwest of sand springs out by anderson school (918)245-7392

The one on 161st is Dick Hindman (I think), I haven't used him but have driven by there and seen deer piled up out in his yard, in the sun. I'll pass.

Had Al's do a couple for me several years ago. You know you are in trouble when you unwrap the packages and they have grass in them!! I can understand a bit of deer hair, but grass??? Again, I'll pass!

I called county live processors in Mannford last night, they said they charge $75 and that includes skinning, since I hunt in Western OK and usually have to skin and quarter the deer before I bring it home, I asked what the cost was for one already skinned and quartered, same price. That's a bit too much $$ in my opinion.

Looks like I'll be back to processing them myself.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not difficult to cut your own deer.

I have done both, I will pay someone when time if a factor, or I just dont want to mess with it, if not I will take care of the job myself.

In the past I have just quartered the deer, cut off the backstraps, wrapped it in butchers paper and put in the freezer, then take a quarter out at a time and cut it into steaks, grind into burger depending on what I wanted.

Around here $50 is the norm to pay, unless you want sausage or jerkey then the price goes way up. Another reason why I make my own summer sausage and jerkey, alot cheaper....

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stubblefields (not sure on the spelling) south of Bristow is good.

I agree. They're in a little place called Iron Post I think but I don't have the number any longer. The elderly man that owned it passed away I think but his wife was still there last I heard and they make some really good breakfast sausage. They were always good at getting everything back to you from your animal. I don't feel I was ever shorted there. Also, Siegi's can be pretty pricey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom