Do you think young deer with funky racks need to be taken to preserve the gene pool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 31721

These racks were taken in a "city" hunt to take deer from a park.

View attachment 31722

This is a chupacraba taken after partaking an excess amount of adult beverages.
Young children will not come into the shop after seeing this, and hearing the story of a near death account.

A ranger once told me the buck I shot with a deformed rack was a "bastard" buck from inbreeding and he was glad I had culled it from the herd.

Your "chupacraba" has canines.......hmmmm......must be a distant relative to the jack-a-lope.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
so,what i get from the experts is shoot the does! thats what i have been doing the last few years. get some meat in the freezer then wait for some stud to walk by. its actually lead to more quality time in the stand. some years you get a decent deer and other are spent observing.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only Buck we are trying to thin out of our place is a mature Half rack. He only shows up so offten and is normally out of range but when he comes in range he will be meet in the freezer for sure!

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a 4xfork a couple years ago, pics are on the forum somewhere. When I stripped the skin off the skull he had a funky growth of bone on the fork side. I just thought he looked cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom