Feral hogs in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Theres several solutions to the hog population. We eradicated buffalo, wolves, and bears and a few others, we could do the same with hogs.

I hope that is sarcasm, as the pigs are not a native specie.

Actually Bison, Wolves, and bears have came back far enough that hunting is allowed in lots of states now.
Bears have never been endangered. Grizzly Bears south of Canada have been listed as endangered, but have been de-listed as well as the wolves in most states.
Bison have been coming back, and huntable populations in free ranging conditions are available in some states with the draws.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In reality from a 1st person perspective, most given permission to hunt for a given specie, will assume they have lifetime permission for anything from that point on, and permission to bring a bevy of friends to take advantage of the permission even though it was not given to them.

More than any other issue, this is at the top of the heap. Also, once it's opened for any Tom, Dick, or Harry many times they'll pass on that "permission" to their buddies as well.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the issues with hogs. They have a very short gestational cycle. One sow can have two litters a year. I would like to see the Oklahoma National Gaurd go up with gun ships and 50 cal's and work em over. Good practice for them.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the hog population will continue to grow until a few folks get killed and eaten by feral hogs.

Then the wheels of science will begin to turn and will produce an effective control.

Two possibilities come to mind.

One is an epidemic, either manmade or natural. Population density makes this more and more likely as a natural occurrence. African herd beasts have been known to die out by species down to 3% or so of the peak population. Could happen to deer too because they are so thick. I have seen entire commercial swine operations wiped out by hog cholera, and if I recall correctly there are around 140 diseases that hogs get.

A second possibility is a species specific birth control chemical offered as bait. Not sure if we have the science for this yet, but suspect it is possible.

Having said that, I love to hunt hogs, but am under no illusion as to the effectiveness of hunting as a control. Not enough hunters, not enough access, and hogs are damned smart once hunting pressure builds up.

Are our Guardies toting 50s in their helicopters now? No collateral damage likely there.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bacon will rule the world. Animal farm will come true.

What we need to do is cash in and create a specific industry just for hogs. Put hogs on the throne. Make hog hunting prestigious.

Calls, camo, decoys, bait, bullets, guns, bows, arrows, stands, books, magazines, seminars, clubs and foundations/ federations. Like the deer, turkey, duck, pheasant and predator industry.

We need to make hog hunting prestegious, fit for kings, instead of a 2nd class sport for rednecks.

Hogs just dont get the respect they deserve. Like catfish, gar an carp compared to trout and bass.

Sorry, just got hit with Sunday morning sarcasm bug. Its out of my system now.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea if the guard has 50 cal. Just seemed like a good thought. I know a fair sized ranch southwest of me. Had a Pro hunter and a helicopter. Come in for a few days with shotgun. Was told he killed 1500 in three days. Just put a dent in the herd. I have a few good young men coming on my stuff. One of them has dogs. The other using feeders and a stand. I have them sign. A agreement permission form. Seems to be working. But, it is a slog. Regards

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several reasons this happens.
As a landowner, I can give first hand explanation.

Primarily, landowners reserve the ground for hunting by relatives.
Some People that think that big old patch of ground looks deserted, and they don't see any reason why they shouldn't go on the property at will and shoot whatever they want.
I have found remenants of meth labs, fences cut, bags of household trash and appliances thrown into the creek, to be scattered across my land when it floods, gates left open with livestock inside, and vehicle tracks across a newly planted wheat field. My barn has been broken into twice.
I've had people arrested or ticketed for criminal trespass because they shot from the road, and trespassed on my land to recover the illegally shot animal.
Thats just a small list of reasons landowners don't welcome the general public to help with pig eradication.

Also some landowners charge lease fees to anybody wanting to hunt on their land, and at times it can be pretty steep.
I can tell you from first hand experience, these last two years of drought have made scrabbling in the dirt a very non-profitable business to be in, and I don't blame anybody one bit trying to make a few bucks to make that $350,000 tractor payment.

^^^^ yep, have had fences cut, gates left open, cows shot, garbage dumped, tractors shot, fuel stolen, gave permission to the nice guy at work who asked permission and then shows up with 15 people, 2 of which came back unannounced 2 weeks later with 20 others and left couple hundred empty beer cans. The guy at work then wants to act pissed when he comes out and the gate has a chain and lock on it.

I, too, was 1 of those who couldn't understand why permission was so unattainable. I would never do such things, but once burned ............ 1 is all it takes to 'change'.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Theres several solutions to the hog population. We eradicated buffalo, wolves, and bears and a few others, we could do the same with hogs.

Buffalo and bears have 1 maybe 2 offspring a year, wolves a few more. Half would be female and able to breed approx. a year later. Hog has 20 -30 a year, 2 litters of 10-20. First litter, half female (5-6) will have a litter 7-8 months later. Bufflalo 1 female born every other year, statiscally speaking. Hog has 10 females, who have 10 , who have 10. Buffalo 3 - Hogs 300 ............. going to be a hell of an erradication problem.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Society wouldnt allow us to eradicate hogs with the same zeal as with buffalo, wolves and bears.

Your talking hunting, im talking about poison, traps and any means to include tresspassing. Total eradication. That why i said hogs really aint a problem. We aint ready to exterminate them and put them on the extenction list.

Latest posts

Top Bottom