Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good run. Do you have your next marathon planned?

I am going to take some time off of long distance running. Maybe a year or more.
I tried running the Route 66 in Tulsa last year, but dropped out at the half due to knee pain. I signed up for it this year within a week, basically immediately after getting an email that registration was open. [emoji2]

Right now I'm going to try building as much speed and strength as possible, while still keeping long runs of 10 miles or so.

Basically I want to knock out some 5k's but still be able to jump into a half marathon if it suits me, and still have decent mileage to start marathon training again.

Since you're going on hiatus from long distance, are you going to focus on short distances?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[QUOTE

ETA: Here's the GPS track of my run today, just in case anyone is interested: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1140405934

Not up to speed on marathon times but Man that seems fast. Percentage wise, where did that time land you vs. the other runners.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Overall I was 105th of 2,218, 90th of 1,332 males, and 15th of 209 in my age group (30-34).

Pretty fast overall, but the guy who won my age group was about 2 minutes per mile faster than me.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried running the Route 66 in Tulsa last year, but dropped out at the half due to knee pain. I signed up for it this year within a week, basically immediately after getting an email that registration was open.
emoji.tapatalk_cdn.com_emoji2.png

Right now I'm going to try building as much speed and strength as possible, while still keeping long runs of 10 miles or so.

Basically I want to knock out some 5k's but still be able to jump into a half marathon if it suits me, and still have decent mileage to start marathon training again.

Since you're going on hiatus from long distance, are you going to focus on short distances?

I dont think my old body can handle both crossfit and long distance running. (I'm 46 years old) I am going to focus on crossfit and some short distance speed for a while. My strength went way down during marathon training, so I'm hoping I'll get my strength back if I keep my runs to shorter distances.

I hope someday to qualify for Boston but thats a pretty lofty goal for me. I'd have to take almost 1min/mile off my pr which is 3:48 at 2014 rt 66 marathon.

I think you have a BQ in your future.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think my old body can handle both crossfit and long distance running. (I'm 46 years old) I am going to focus on crossfit and some short distance speed for a while. My strength went way down during marathon training, so I'm hoping I'll get my strength back if I keep my runs to shorter distances.

I hope someday to qualify for Boston but thats a pretty lofty goal for me. I'd have to take almost 1min/mile off my pr which is 3:48 at 2014 rt 66 marathon.

I think you have a BQ in your future.

Thanks! Qualifying for Boston is certainly my goal right now, and is something I think I can do within the next 2-3 years.

My summer training plans of speed, hills, and strength training (mostly core and lower body, some upper) is aimed toward an eventual BQ.

Tulsa is a hilly course. Even disregarding your Crossfit/strength training, which can certainly help running, a flatter course would go a long way toward cutting that 1 min/mile off your current PR. Maybe Chicago, Houston, or even OKC would help.

One of my co-workers does Crossfit, and his gym has a program for endurance athletes. That may be something that could help kill two birds with one stone for you, if available. Granted, though, my Crossfit and general strength-training knowledge is very limited.

Have you/do you do any training by heart rate for your runs? That's how I structure mine, and I fully credit it with making the rapid progress I have.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Qualifying for Boston is certainly my goal right now, and is something I think I can do within the next 2-3 years.

My summer training plans of speed, hills, and strength training (mostly core and lower body, some upper) is aimed toward an eventual BQ.

Tulsa is a hilly course. Even disregarding your Crossfit/strength training, which can certainly help running, a flatter course would go a long way toward cutting that 1 min/mile off your current PR. Maybe Chicago, Houston, or even OKC would help.

One of my co-workers does Crossfit, and his gym has a program for endurance athletes. That may be something that could help kill two birds with one stone for you, if available. Granted, though, my Crossfit and general strength-training knowledge is very limited.

Have you/do you do any training by heart rate for your runs? That's how I structure mine, and I fully credit it with making the rapid progress I have.

I have a couple of marathons in mind if i decide to try for a BQ - Wine Glass in NY or theres one that a friend of mine BQd with that I think was the Erie marathon.

I started out running marathons in the 4:25 to 4:29 range. Then I trained hard for a year and ran lots of miles and some longer distances on my own (50k and Grand canyon r2r2r) and then ran 3:48 and 3:54 marathons. I need to do that again but right now my interest really is in crossfit.

I havent ever trained by heart rate although I know I should. When i start training long distance again I will try that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom