Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the whole HOT series. Didn't do too bad with my times. Current 5K personal record is now 29:28! I'll be in the Project Life 5K this weekend. My employer used to do a water stop at the Marathon but they haven't the last 2 years. They also used to reimburse you for fitness events but not anymore thanks to the downturn. Oh well, hasn't stopped my running any.
Congrats on the new PR!

Did you actually get that during one of the series? That's very impressive if so; Everyone I know who ran those were all quite a ways from our PR's.

I'm putting of my planned 16 miler until Sunday so I can run in a small, local race on Saturday. I'll be shooting for a big (30+ second) PR, and if the coach doesn't let the cross country kids run it I may have a chance to actually win!

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the new PR!

Did you actually get that during one of the series? That's very impressive if so; Everyone I know who ran those were all quite a ways from our PR's.

I'm putting of my planned 16 miler until Sunday so I can run in a small, local race on Saturday. I'll be shooting for a big (30+ second) PR, and if the coach doesn't let the cross country kids run it I may have a chance to actually win!

I didn't get my PR during the HOT races although my times weren't too bad (29:56 at the Hotter run). I hit my PR in the GloRun which was my previous best from last year. I'm not sure if Mitch park is just a great place to run or if the night helps out.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't get my PR during the HOT races although my times weren't too bad (29:56 at the Hotter run). I hit my PR in the GloRun which was my previous best from last year. I'm not sure if Mitch park is just a great place to run or if the night helps out.

I haven't run a race in Mitch Park, but I did all my long runs there this summer.

I don't know how the course was setup, but there are hills practically all over that trail.

My PR came on a dead flat course (the same one as the HOTTEST 5k), during the coolest conditions I raced in this summer (~75°). I'd be interested to see how far you could lower your PR with good racing weather and a flat course instead of a hill-covered one.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gave up the running, I was getting skinny fat I was almost up to 30% body fat. I have lost a grand total of 6 pounds since I decided to start lifting weight, but my body fat is down to 24% now and I am wearing 32" waist jeans at 193 that I haven't been able to wear since I was running and weighed in at 180.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 60, and about to turn 61. In January my wife was having some issues with her sugar so we decided to do something about it. My wife is the same age 5' 7" and I'm 5' 11". She started zumba and yoga (3 days a week) and I began running 2 miles and lifting weights 3 days a week. Both went to a healthy diet and I quit drinking.
Wife was 162 lbs when we started and I was 219. She's now 130 lbs and I just weighed in at 180. Pants size 32 and feel great.
I spend 1 hour in the gym when I lift and it's a hard work out maxing out and alternating upper and lower. Ending with staggered crunches.
Being a jock when I was young I kept myself in very good shape. But had got lazy. Having a reason and being dedicated to goal is the key. I told my wife that we would both hit it with the understanding that this is a "no quit' deal. That means we work out when we don't want to not just when we want to.
She agreed and we are now both at our goals. I lost 39 lbs and solid as a rock. Vitals. BP average 109/65 HR 55. Wife lost 32 lbs and sugar is perfect (she looks great)
Be committed. Set goals and meet those goal. DON'T QUIT!
I didn't start off running 2 miles or lifting as much as I do now, but I did go 2 miles, mostly walking at first and just built up when I could.
Don't just give it a try. Do it with no excuses.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 60, and about to turn 61. In January my wife was having some issues with her sugar so we decided to do something about it. My wife is the same age 5' 7" and I'm 5' 11". She started zumba and yoga (3 days a week) and I began running 2 miles and lifting weights 3 days a week. Both went to a healthy diet and I quit drinking.
Wife was 162 lbs when we started and I was 219. She's now 130 lbs and I just weighed in at 180. Pants size 32 and feel great.
I spend 1 hour in the gym when I lift and it's a hard work out maxing out and alternating upper and lower. Ending with staggered crunches.
Being a jock when I was young I kept myself in very good shape. But had got lazy. Having a reason and being dedicated to goal is the key. I told my wife that we would both hit it with the understanding that this is a "no quit' deal. That means we work out when we don't want to not just when we want to.
She agreed and we are now both at our goals. I lost 39 lbs and solid as a rock. Vitals. BP average 109/65 HR 55. Wife lost 32 lbs and sugar is perfect (she looks great)
Be committed. Set goals and meet those goal. DON'T QUIT!
I didn't start off running 2 miles or lifting as much as I do now, but I did go 2 miles, mostly walking at first and just built up when I could.
Don't just give it a try. Do it with no excuses.
Way to go! Congrats to you and the missus.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. Do you know what you'll be doing?

How fast were you running when you ran?

I'm guessing you were running hard enough that you could speak easily while running, and that it probably made you really hungry. Just guesses, but am I close?

I'll be working with Ed on the Guthrie Green/where ever they need me to fill in a hole. FRI, SAT, and SUN. Tim and Ed are friends of mine, it takes a lot of work to make it happen. My wife runs the 5K on Saturday, Sunday she is at maniac corner.

I encourage all my friends to donate a little time if they can.

Yep you're about right, not just hungry but craved carbs all the time. I could still get out and jog a 5K but I'm never gonna be a fast runner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom