1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good gunsmiths in OKC metro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skatalite, Jul 9, 2011.

1. skatalite

skatalite Sharpshooter Member

Hey everyone. My fiance's grandparents lost everything in the May 24 tornado that ripped through Cashion, and thank God they were able to get to safety. They're still sifting through things to see what can be salvaged, and my fiance's grandfather gave me a few guns to hold onto for him until they get resettled somewhere. However, the guns are completely clogged with earth and I don't have the skills to do such deep cleaning or any repairs.

I'm curious if anyone can recommend a gunsmith or the like in the OKC metro area. I'd really love to get these cleaned for him if I could afford it, and want to get it taken care of to avoid any permanent damage. I just don't know what something like this could cost.

Thanks for any help! I'll try to get pictures by the end of the evening.

2. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter Member

That's terrible! Mike at Accurate Iron is considered to be one of the best, but that kind of work is not really what he does. Honeybee in Tulsa is also very well thought of, but that's a pretty decent drive. Good luck with the project.

3. criticalbass

criticalbass Sharpshooter Member

Spray them down right now with a good gun oil (remoil or some such). Use plenty. It is likely they have already developed surface rust, so don't fool around. You might call Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy. I don't know if he does that sort of thing, but he's a great gunsmith. CB

4. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter Member

+1 Get something like Sea Foam Deep Creep from an auto supply store and spray them down with that. I first heard about this stuff from Mike at AI this week and immediately researched it. Great stuff.

5. skatalite

Thanks, everyone. It's appreciated.

6. Honeybee

Honeybee Sharpshooter Member

Like others have said, get some spray oil on them right now, since this is a distress situation you can use WD40 to get rid of any traces of water but then follow that up with some real oil.
    If you can get them to me I will do you an incredible deal to get his guns back into shape.
    I will be comming to OKC soon as the Mosins get here and can take them back at that time.

Donald

7. skatalite

I appreciate that.

However, the guns were sitting out in the elements since May 24, albeit hidden under debris from their house. All the suggestions about getting the oil on there quick makes me think the guns aren't salvageable anymore :( Still, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is covering the scope, but the inside of the gun looks just as bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not focused where I wanted it to, but you can see the gunk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. skatalite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tran

tran Sharpshooter Member

Wash them in Hot soapy water and get the dirt out of them then Blow them out real good with some compressed air and then OIL the crap out of them... If you need some help PM me. I see your in Norman also.

10. Honeybee

Honeybee Sharpshooter Member

Take a look at that shotgun on my website, It was covered with 20 years of bird **** and I still salvaged it.

www.fransonfirearms.com