Grandpas old Marlin 39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So this past week my dad gave me my grandpas old 22. He’s not a gun guy at all but thought I’d like to have it. The more research I’m doing, the cooler this little rifle gets. It’s got an octagon barrel and it’s got some rusting on the barrel but so far has cleaned up nicely. Took some fine steel wool to it and really happy with the condition.

I thought it was a 39a at first but confirmed it’s a 39. Done a little research and found one website that said it was manufactured in 1886?!?!? It’s a 5 digit serial number that starts with 125XX

Anyone know how accurate this might actually be? Here are some pics of this beauty too.
IMG_0232.jpegIMG_0233.jpeg
IMG_0234.jpeg

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ve read different things about the star on the receivers. It also has a bullseye on the stock.

I was really thinking that this was just an old wall hanger but after some TLC, it in really good condition.
Accuracy will be minute of beer can at 50yds, if there is any rifling left, might be 100 yds, but it will damn sure be accurate enough for fun. I would stop with the steel wool, there is another product, can't remember what it's called, but it is silver and looks like shavings from a lathe, all tightly wound up, and it's made from an alloy that's close to stainless, might check Brownells. Don't go heavy on the restoration, oil it, rub it, and shoot it, you got a keeper.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this past week my dad gave me my grandpas old 22. He’s not a gun guy at all but thought I’d like to have it. The more research I’m doing, the cooler this little rifle gets. It’s got an octagon barrel and it’s got some rusting on the barrel but so far has cleaned up nicely. Took some fine steel wool to it and really happy with the condition.

I thought it was a 39a at first but confirmed it’s a 39. Done a little research and found one website that said it was manufactured in 1886?!?!? It’s a 5 digit serial number that starts with 125XX

Anyone know how accurate this might actually be? Here are some pics of this beauty too.
View attachment 439679View attachment 439680View attachment 439681
That gun is not worth having, piece of junk…sell it to me, LOL.

Seriously, extremely sweet gun, irreplaceable!! Merry Christmas to you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom