Guitar Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Having sold my guitars a while back(stupid,I know) I'm in the market.

I'm leaning toward an Ernie Ball/Music Man-Axis. Pros or Cons??!!

I really like the way the action is set and of course the locking trem. Being a Den/ Man-Cave player, it will be my strummer on music from Hank Jr./Merle/Buck to Van Halen. Yes, I've had many a Tele, Strat and Les Paul.

Sooo, give me your advice on an Axis!!

Hmmmm, should I go for the black or vintage sunburst??
http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/axis.html

Thanks!!
Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vintage burst is much more classy than the black. Music Man guitars have always had a weird feeling neck to me. I'd recommend playing on first if you've not already, since it's nothing like anything else out there.

I'm not a big fan of the floyd rose system. Its okay if you only play standard tuning and never deviate from it. I prefer any other tremolo/vibrato on the market to the floyd. One upside is that it is not the floating style. Those require a lot of time to fine tune.

The body is not what I'd call a quality tone wood. Bass wood is very low on the totem pole. Speaking of tone, there is an absence of a tone pot, but that would be easily overlooked for the artists you listed.

They are well built and sturdy guitars and it comes down to player preference. I've never personally owned one, but the people I know who have them think they're great. Out of the Axis family I like the Super Sport models, just because of the tremolo and tone pot. However a tone pot is easy to install if you ever wanted to add one later.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now see, I prefer a Floyd Rose to a Kahler. Not the cheapo bootlegs, but a real one, or decent "licensed" one. I had a nice Ibenez "Roadstar II" in the 80's with a Kahler, and it wasn't bad, but I also had a real Floyd Rose on an Honest Ron Strat, and it just felt better to me, if that makes any sense!

What is the feel of the MM neck? I have never played one. I really like the feel of late '70s to an early '80s Ibenez or Electra. That's what I grew up on.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the feel of the MM neck? I have never played one.

Think of the first time you ever played a Tele. It probably felt very narrow across the fret board and fatter on the back of the neck. It's kinda like this but more pronounced in both aspects. Not a bad playing guitar. It's very streamlined.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal preference would be towards a fixed bridge like on the sport model (unfortunately it has the extra "tone" control), but you have to get a maple one in whatever color, not just black, unless it is one of the Family Reserve black over flamed maple models.

mprvise

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't be my first choice in that price range, but I've played one and it seemed like a fine guitar.

Personally I will never own another guitar with a Floyd Rose. Way too much of a PITA to change strings for the limited (IMO) benefits.

If you want info overload go here and do a search on "Axis" http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Guys who have them seem to love them.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of people like em,especially EVH fans. They are fast fretting and have nice action. I like the black,cause all of my guitars are black,other people most likely like the sunburst though. Its not a shape or a guitar that I would be interested in as I favor Les Pauls and superstrats, but thats not what matters. What matters is how it feels and plays to you since youre the one going to be putting out the bucks to buy it then going to be playing it. Youre not gigging or touring with it so it should hold up to at home only playing just fine. I gig alot and tour so I have to have gear and guitars that can take alot of abuse. I also have and do use nothing but Floyd Rose Original trems on my superstrats,have for years, and will continue to use them too as I have had no problems with them whatsoever. You wont either if you know how to work them,theyre not as big a pain as people let on,not to me anyways. I'm sure for your use the Licensed Floyd will work just fine.
The only cons for me would be only 22 frets on a 25 1/2" scale guitar,and the price youre paying for a basswood body and a bolt-on neck- just seems kind of highpriced to me for a couple of specs I wouldnt want on a guitar and for sure pay that kind of money for. But I'm not buying it.

Post pics when you get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom