H2S odor in my clothes....give me some ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
Long story short, working in refineries here lately and have came into contact with some sour gas/H2S during some of our jobs. I can't get the odor out of my work clothes.
In the past just a typical laundry washing seemed to take care of it but nothing I do now seems to help remove the odor.

I've washed them in Coca Cola, put them in a bag with baking soda and sprayed with Shout.
Only thing I've found that actually removes the smell is hanging them outdoors over a period of time.

I've been in this industry for 35 years and until lately never had this problem, is laundry soap and additives being "softened" for the general public??

Whatcha think? Talk to me oilfield hands..........

Deano

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried chlorine bleach?

Chlorine bleach added to water will remove hydrogen sulfide by a reaction that forms a tasteless, odorless yellow particle.

You didn't mention if these were frcs which don't like bleach.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We make our own laundry soap and one of the ingredients is fells naphtha bar soap. Stuff smells good and gets stains out of anything. Might grab you a bar of that. You can shred it with an cheese grader and throw some in with your laundry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm no chemist or a genious by any means, but have been told that washing oil field clothing with a small bag of magnets and coca cola will help remove odor that bonds to metallic deposits in the water. let the clothes soak in the soda for a couple of hours and then wash with a small bag of magnets. with really hot water. the guy that told me this was a metals genious, but he was also an ornery old man that liked to pull practical jokes on young people. if you try it and it works, let us know.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pine Sol............original.

Put clothes in washing machine. Fill up with water and put in 2-4 cups of Pine Sol in the water ( let it soak for 30 minutes) and let it run it's cycle.......maybe an extra rinse.

mobileimages.lowes.com_product_converted_041294_041294402361.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom