How long till frozen venison goes bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it takes for frozen venison to go bad?
Got lots in the freezer from last year, and just found it after leaning up the freezer.

Still looks good but just checking?

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That depends on two things. First, how was it packed? Secondly, at what temperature is it frozen at? Things in a deep freeze will last much longer than items in your refrigerator freezer, because it gets them colder.

Vaccuum packed in a deep freeze you can expect most meat to be good for about 2 years. Freezer paper I have noticed tends to be less. Like a year to 18 months, of course the better you wrap it the better it keeps. Also its worth noting, that meat in a freezer will keep "indefinitely". By that I mean it never goes bad, only the quality of the meat degrades with time. So why it may not make you sick, it may simply be unpalatable to most.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If vaccumed packed and no holes. Meat will be good for 3 years or more. I found one last fall from 09 and there wasn't any thing wrong with it. Yet, I found a package from muzzleloader season that had a hole and it was already starting to get freezer burned. Trimmed that bad spot off and cooked it.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That depends on two things. First, how was it packed? Secondly, at what temperature is it frozen at? Things in a deep freeze will last much longer than items in your refrigerator freezer, because it gets them colder.

Vaccuum packed in a deep freeze you can expect most meat to be good for about 2 years. Freezer paper I have noticed tends to be less. Like a year to 18 months, of course the better you wrap it the better it keeps. Also its worth noting, that meat in a freezer will keep "indefinitely". By that I mean it never goes bad, only the quality of the meat degrades with time. So why it may not make you sick, it may simply be unpalatable to most.

Your refrigerator freezer also thaws the coil every few days where as your deep freeze does not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom