I have a question about amps & voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the rating of the cord. The equipment only draws what it needs. Kind of like using a larger extension cord to plug in your Dewalt battery charger instead of using that cheap-o two wire zip cord.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know ZERO about electricity so bear with me while I try to get a better understanding.

I was thinking it would either be underpowered because the voltage of the cord doesn't match the maximum voltage range of the TV.

Or maybe it delivers too much power because the cord had way higher amps.
The original visio cord is rated for international voltages. Hence the range of 100 to 200 volts.
The amount of amps a cable will carry is determined by the diameter of the copper wire inside the cable. Smaller wire can't carry large amperages.
Your cable is nothing more than a conductor of electricity. It has a rating on the cable that is determined by the diameter of the wire within the cable and the quality of the insulation covering that wire that determines how many volts it will carry.
Its like a water pipe. Current is the water within the pipe, voltage is the pressure that pushes the water through the pipe. Exceed the pressure and the pipe bursts.
Electrical cables are the same. Each has been tested to determine how much current (diameter of the wire) and how good the insulation is(voltage) to keep the current in the cable.
If you take a cable that is rated for 200 volts, and put 1000 volts through it, the insulation will fail, and the cord will release the amperage to another conductor. This is called a short to ground. Blows breakers or fuses.
Hope this helps. If you need more info, pm me or I can reply in the thread.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys keep mentioning the original Visio power cord and it's being lesser duty and rated for this and that. Considering the original cable is LOST, that's quite a stretch.

I can't recall ever seeing a C13/5-15P cable that wasn't at least 10A/125v anyway, but most likely the two are entirely identical.

You can ignore the voltage rating, unless by some chance your house has more than 125v coming from the wall receptacle. The C13/5-5P can only be used up to 125v regardless.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys keep mentioning the original Visio power cord and it's being lesser duty and rated for this and that. Considering the original cable is LOST, that's quite a stretch.

I can't recall ever seeing a C13/5-15P cable that wasn't at least 10A/125v anyway, but most likely the two are entirely identical.

You can ignore the voltage rating, unless by some chance your house has more than 125v coming from the wall receptacle. The C13/5-5P can only be used up to 125v regardless.
At 126 volts it turns into a pumpkin.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The eagle fly's over the Indian and the river.....

E
I R

Oh yes and 42.....

for an obscure Douglas Adams reference that has absolutely no bearing on this what so ever...

Got both references and will throw in the less PC mnemonic for the formula: the Eagle flies over the Indian Reservation.

And never forget to eat your P/IE!

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know ZERO about electricity so bear with me while I try to get a better understanding.

I was thinking it would either be underpowered because the voltage of the cord doesn't match the maximum voltage range of the TV.

Or maybe it delivers too much power because the cord had way higher amps.
No, the 10 amp rating on the cord is the MAXIMUM amps the cord can handle safely. Your TV only pulls 3.3 Amps which is far less than 10 so no problem. The voltage rating on your cord is 100 to 200 volts which really means it's 200 volts max so it's no problem at 120 Volts that you have in your house. It's probably good to 600 volts, most light cords like that are.
I have dozens of those 'computer' cords, use them for this and that all over home and work.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is a handy tool to have around .. tells you amp draw of any device plugged in for about $20-$30

P3 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor (P4460) Review

this is the $20 version
shopping

above is much handier than a meter like this Fluke 376 AC/DC True RMS clamp meter
01111_3_Ch_A50p_D2b8_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom