I Need a 4500 stall converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of these GM LS engines are so slow out of the hole and it is due to low cranking pressures that stem from 10ish compression and wide LSA cams which close the intake valve late.

Stick a much larger cam in and close the intake valve even later and you really need gear multiplication to get one out of the hole.
This transmission is a 2.48:1 first gear and the 3.73 rear gear hurts it. It needs a 4.56 gear.
Or needs to launch where it makes max TQ.
Launch 2000 rpm below max torque and you must play catch up.

I am sure you have taken off from a stop light and the car goes but really begins to pull hard once you get the RPM up.

This setup currently does not get the RPM up very quickly.

Now if it was me building it the thing would have 11.5 compression and valve reliefs in the pistons that would allow me to run the proper camshaft timing to make much more power down low and up top.

I did not build it though.
Everyone that built it had strong daily driver in mind.

The owner had unruly daily driver drag truck in mind.

I will say this it gets really good MPG if you keep your foot out of it.
Mid 20's
Not what the owner wanted.
Interesting. I've only been around a few cars that had stalls that high and they were pretty radical builds, as in barely streetable. They were pre-LS too. Hopefully he gets what he's after..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nteresting. I've only been around a few cars that had stalls that high and they were pretty radical builds, as in barely streetable. They were pre-LS too. Hopefully he gets what he's after
These LS engines make big power up top but down low it's pretty sad.
My old school 350 liked the 4500 stall way better than the 3000 and I was not anywhere close to radical. Ported 305 heads and 280H (230@ .050")magnum cam 350" shift at 7000.
My smaller cam 268H comp ([email protected]") on a 106LSA did better with the 4500 converter also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom