1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is an empty keg worth anything?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XD-9Guy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. XD-9Guy

XD-9Guy Sharpshooter Member

I know some scrap metal prices are up, is it worth a trip to the recyclers to drop off a couple old kegs?

2. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter Member

Are they aluminum or stainless?

3. XD-9Guy

Must be aluminum - a magnet would stick to stainless right?

The labels from the place that they came from are still on top - don't you have to pay a deposit on these things? I wonder if I take them back if I can get the deposit? I don't know how that works - I'm not a drinker.

4. B96brig4CC

B96brig4CC Sharpshooter Member

How did you acquire kegs and how many of them? We use them for workouts and they aren't easy to come by.

5. Thomas

Thomas Sharpshooter Member

In Tulsa the deposit is about $40 each. I would take them back to the place on the label. (Or at least call them.)

6. dustingaunder

dustingaunder Sharpshooter Member

Most scrap yards won't take them because people steal them. I bought the last one I got for $9.

If you want to sell it, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Moderator Staff Member Moderator Member

With a little work, one can make a really nice portable BBQ grill out of one for tailgating.

8. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter Member

They probably won't give you a deposit back if you don't have a receipt. There are a bunch of ways you can reuse old kegs. So, I would say let someone here get them rather than scrap them.

9. XD-9Guy

Just 2 of them, some neighbors threw them out when they cleaned out their garage – speaking of work outs… there's a weight bench over there too that looks like it's pretty sturdy built and in usable condition if anyone is looking for one.

Sweet - that'd be great. I'm calling them tomorrow. That's probably the right thing to do anyway - I have been doing some internet research on them and apparently they can cost the retailers 100-150 bucks to replace. So they may want them back and if there's a $40 deposit on them I will gladly drive them on over.

I'm going to call the place they came from and if they aren't interested I'll post em up in the classifieds -I'll be sure to PM you and B96Brig first.

Sounds like it'd be cool looking but I just picked them up because I thought I might turn a buck on them. I don't want to have to do work - LOL

10. XD-9Guy

That sucks, I'll ask them if a receipt is necessary when I call tomorrow.