KS House passes campus carry bill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. If anybody ever has a question about my intentions please ask me before making an assumption. I will gladly explain without being offended. I am a firm believer that if you don't know ask, if you don't ask then you will never know.

I know what happens when you assume.:comfort:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have met very few (trying to remember if I've met any at all) officers opposed to concealed carry, however I have met some that aren't fully supportive of campus carry. I understand their concern, but I don't think it would be the issue they think it would, as most of the typical immature college students are also under 21 and therefore not qualified to carry.

There is a lot of misinformation about CCW on campus.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are plenty of cops on this forum who venture their opinions about the importance of concealed carry. A quick perusal of the stickies in the CCW forum would give you a good idea of how the cops around here feel about it.

The selection of cops frequenting this particular forum might just be a little biased in their opinion of citizens being allowed to CCW. Just the fact that they're on a forum that promotes this nature in and of itself causes reason for the bias.

would you agree?

The general feeling you get from officers in the public eye (on TV, etc) is that they're against public CCW as a safety issue. While the polls may indicate 85% are FOR it, you can't deny that the news media generally projects the opposite from the officers that are interviewed.

I'm sure you're well aware that the opinions of a few sometimes overshadow the true feelings and actions of the many. How one or two officers can harm the reputation of an entire department... and that a top level politician with a badge can easily portray that the feelings of his entire department are a certain way, when in fact they are opposite.

My own understanding of the general LEO position on CCW was the same - that most LEO's weren't for it. It was based on what i said above, and with the understanding that those on this forum were already biased to support CCW because of the nature of the forum and those that it attracts (Pro CCW users) which makes using this group of LEO's a improper sample to base a opinion off of. A better sample would be a number of random officers who are not necessarily all a part of the same forum that promotes Concealed Carry.

Thanks for posting the numbers from the polls. It was interesting to see. We're there any articles to go along with them? I would be interested in reading them if you had a link....?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael Brown said:
When Police Magazine and Law Enforcement Bulletin, two of the largest circulated trade magazines in the industry conducted their polls on the issue in 2002 and 2005 respectively, over 83% of officers, deputies, and agents responded that they were in favor of CCW in both polls (one was 85% one was 83%).

That number is likely larger than the percentage of citizens that support CCW.

If that truly is the case then why don't organizations like the FOP or local LEO unions go on public record supporting issues like CCW on campus or open carry? Or maybe they do and the media just doesn't report it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom