Looking to get my first AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
(the following is my opinion)

1: x39 is averaging a few pennies higher for comparable quality/use, e.g. PMC Xtac 55gr vs Tula 122gr FMJ cost 38 cents per round vs 41 cents per round, respectively.

2: reliability between both platforms is a wash in my experience, I have had very few failures in either platform, although I don't shoot as much as I used to, maybe 1000-2000 rounds per year for each platform.

3: What AK's/AR's are you looking at? Most basic rifles have a weight difference of a pound plus or minus a few ounces. either way, they're both roughly 6-7lb rifles.

4: The AK was designed to shoot 4moa or better as a service rifle. The AR platform was initially designed to shoot 4moa or better to pass the US service rifle standards. So if we're talking about hitting an average size target, maybe a deer or a human torso, we're pretty neck and neck across the platforms considering that at 500 yards they're both hitting within a 20" circle. Past that both get dicey/not terribly effective. Luckily, most ethical shots while hunting according to statistics (may or may not be made up) are within 200 yards, and most combat firefights before Afghanistan were in the 100-300 yard range, Afghanistan is typically the exception to that, but like the rest of combat, its all very highly variable based upon the situation. By the time you have to worry about the ballistic trajectory advantage of either rifle you should be using a different platform.

5: AK's are cool, and the OP is wanting to buy one. He didn't ask for people to tell him he was wrong, they're crap, or that he should just buy an AR or an SKS.
Ima go zero my M70 this weekend. I'll take pictures. I'll follow the old soviet procedure...you know, coz I got an AK and have been called a "good little bolshevik" by the Banderite Bros. lol.
👇 👇

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/how-to-zero-an-ak-rifle/377389
We'll see how it groups at 100m.

The US Army standard for zeroing an M4/M16 is 3-5 rounds in a 2.54cm circle at 25m....That's 4 ish MOA at the 100m line. When we compete on sights for Big Army, they have to match the M4 which is usually five shots in a 4 inch circle at 100m. It's actually less than 4 MOA but only by a small amount.

FYSA, for as sh***y as people say the AK is, it's been fking us and half the planet up for over 70 ish years so it's got something going for it and it's more than cheap ammo.

I've never met a floppy rattley heavy AK in the last 30 yrs or so. I've seen some that are wore TF out, but nothing as described above. They definitely aren't heavier than a kitted up M4.

EDIT: Correction to circle above. CM not inch

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With me not currently owning any sort of high capacity military rifle like the AR's SKS, AK47 etc I'm also kicking around the idea of purchasing one and I'm leaning towards a wood stock Zastava Zpap M70......NIB it looks like that they are running right around $1000.00.

Hate to buy online and go through the additional FFL fee plus the shipping and I'd really like to actually hold one in my hands before taking the plunge.

What shops around the OKC metro area would be most likely to carry them ?

zpap.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
With me not currently owning any sort of high capacity military rifle like the AR's SKS, AK47 etc I'm also kicking around the idea of purchasing one and I'm leaning towards a wood stock Zastava Zpap M70......NIB it looks like that they are running right around $1000.00.

Hate to buy online and go through the additional FFL fee plus the shipping and I'd really like to actually hold one in my hands before taking the plunge.

View attachment 420249
You’ll be happy with that m70. I have one with the tiger stripe maple

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 420249
I've seen AKs in Village Tactical, but not many, they are mainly an AR shop. They also do carry Combloc caliber ammo.

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Atlantic Firearms. They carry just about everything that available and have FFL's on file in the OKC area. They ship quick too. Zastava get great reviews but if you want to have a good shooter with breaking the bank PSA GF3 at 599 are a good deal. Lifetime warranty and they are forged. Their website show you exactly what goes into them. The ALG trigger is rea nice too. GF5 have FN chrome lined barrels. My GF3 can bang steel all day and with or without a red dot.

Reaction score
Go to Atlantic Firearms. They carry just about everything that available and have FFL's on file in the OKC area. They ship quick too. Zastava get great reviews but if you want to have a good shooter with breaking the bank PSA GF3 at 599 are a good deal. Lifetime warranty and they are forged. Their website show you exactly what goes into them. The ALG trigger is rea nice too. GF5 have FN chrome lined barrels. My GF3 can bang steel all day and with or without a red dot.
I will agree with Buck on the Gf3 and up. The gf4 has a cold hammered forged barrel and the gf5 has the FN cold hammer forged barrel. Those are your differences and why the price is higher on the gf4 and gf5. The gf3 is a great rifle for the money

Latest posts

Top Bottom