Medical question.... ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay anyone know much about (spelling may be wrong) an "encapsulated abscess?"

My question being, how did I get one and why did it take several years to develop? This is my second one under the scar from getting my gallbladder removed with a whopping big cut in my side. The scope thingy did not work. :) My wife who worked in surgery as a secretary for years, had told me the scope would not work because I am to fat. She was right, LOL please dont let her know I said that.

The gallbladder came out about 6 years ago, then about 3 years ago I had to have a "rescission" to clean out infection and remove the old permanent stitches. Now I am back to the same thing, an area under the scar gets hot, turns red/purple and becomes very painful. A round of Bactrim knocks that down real fast. It will stay looking and feeling just find until I .... for lack of a better way to describe it ..... disturb the area. By that I mean a hard fall or busted ribs down low on that side.

The abscess can be felt under the skin, it is about the size of a nickle on a day it is not inflamed. When it is red and hot I cant take the pain of it being touched. Things like turning over at night will cause me to cry, it is a crazy type of pain.

I am not sure but I think impacts causes it to bleed and that starts the mess all over. My Dr is talking about sending me back to get this newest abscess cut out again. Due to my EDS I cant have tape or glue on me, they both cause my skin to blister and peel off. Stitches do not hold and that sure makes closing a hole difficult. Staples look fine but when they come out any wound I have had will open in about 12 hours, even after leaving the staples in for an extra long time. So we do what we can to avoid making holes in me. :)

The thing is this last flare up, about a week after I fell and hit the end of the couch caused me to be sick like never before. Along with the red area and pain I went from freezing to sweating. Then the round of Bactrim and wallah I am back to being me.

So if you made it this far here is one more bit of info the surgeon will be dealing with. This scar is 3 years old. I can feel just under my skin the layer of fatty tissue is separating, part of this is from the EDS, but even for me 3 years is a long time for it to hold then start to come apart. Is it possible that the area under the scar could be torn open in the last fall?

My regular Dr said it looks/feels to be open below the skin and seems to be full of fluid. The idea of draining it was shut down because we do not know if that could expose me to more of the infection down below. Since a surgeon will be going in we decided to let him deal with that, he will have much better access to clean out the mess rather than a big needle. The idea of dragging infection up when the needle is removed sounds like a risk I would rather skip.

Any ideas or questions that I should talk to both my GP and the Surgeon that you can think of please feel free to post them. It would be nice to not deal with this again.

Oh, please do not think I am speaking badly of any of my medical folks, they are great and do the very best dealing with me. I understand my body does not react like others and would never blame anyone for things that can not be predicted due to the problem that is me. Now if a Dr leaves a watch in me, then yeah I would be mad, but I would have a watch. :)

Later, David.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay anyone know much about (spelling may be wrong) an "encapsulated abscess?"

My question being, how did I get one and why did it take several years to develop? This is my second one under the scar from getting my gallbladder removed with a whopping big cut in my side. The scope thingy did not work. :) My wife who worked in surgery as a secretary for years, had told me the scope would not work because I am to fat. She was right, LOL please dont let her know I said that.

The gallbladder came out about 6 years ago, then about 3 years ago I had to have a "rescission" to clean out infection and remove the old permanent stitches. Now I am back to the same thing, an area under the scar gets hot, turns red/purple and becomes very painful. A round of Bactrim knocks that down real fast. It will stay looking and feeling just find until I .... for lack of a better way to describe it ..... disturb the area. By that I mean a hard fall or busted ribs down low on that side.

The abscess can be felt under the skin, it is about the size of a nickle on a day it is not inflamed. When it is red and hot I cant take the pain of it being touched. Things like turning over at night will cause me to cry, it is a crazy type of pain.

I am not sure but I think impacts causes it to bleed and that starts the mess all over. My Dr is talking about sending me back to get this newest abscess cut out again. Due to my EDS I cant have tape or glue on me, they both cause my skin to blister and peel off. Stitches do not hold and that sure makes closing a hole difficult. Staples look fine but when they come out any wound I have had will open in about 12 hours, even after leaving the staples in for an extra long time. So we do what we can to avoid making holes in me. :)

The thing is this last flare up, about a week after I fell and hit the end of the couch caused me to be sick like never before. Along with the red area and pain I went from freezing to sweating. Then the round of Bactrim and wallah I am back to being me.

So if you made it this far here is one more bit of info the surgeon will be dealing with. This scar is 3 years old. I can feel just under my skin the layer of fatty tissue is separating, part of this is from the EDS, but even for me 3 years is a long time for it to hold then start to come apart. Is it possible that the area under the scar could be torn open in the last fall?

My regular Dr said it looks/feels to be open below the skin and seems to be full of fluid. The idea of draining it was shut down because we do not know if that could expose me to more of the infection down below. Since a surgeon will be going in we decided to let him deal with that, he will have much better access to clean out the mess rather than a big needle. The idea of dragging infection up when the needle is removed sounds like a risk I would rather skip.

Any ideas or questions that I should talk to both my GP and the Surgeon that you can think of please feel free to post them. It would be nice to not deal with this again.

Oh, please do not think I am speaking badly of any of my medical folks, they are great and do the very best dealing with me. I understand my body does not react like others and would never blame anyone for things that can not be predicted due to the problem that is me. Now if a Dr leaves a watch in me, then yeah I would be mad, but I would have a watch. :)

Later, David.

Apparently an "encapsulated abscess" occurs when a localized infection leaves a pocket of pus surrounded by inflamed tissue. Some of the inflamed tissue turns into a capsule of scar tissue and you end up with an enclosed capsule of infected pus inside your body. Once encapsulated, the pus is sealed off from any anti-biotics you are taking. The capsule can break down over time, or be broken by an impact, and a leak can release a new infection into your system. Thus the fever and chills. This recurs when they don't get 100% of the infection out during the removal surgery.

I am not a doctor, so don't take any of the above as gospel, I only have an interest in physiology.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed.... infection never really went away, just got "under control" and you can think of it as having gone dormant, for all intents and purposes. Has to be surgically removed/cleaned out.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed.... infection never really went away, just got "under control" and you can think of it as having gone dormant, for all intents and purposes. Has to be surgically removed/cleaned out.

You know this scar has ruined my chances of being a bikini model....

Latest posts

Top Bottom