Mil Spec vs Commercial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, in practical terms, aren't just arguing about splitting hairs? How many commercial tubes have you seen or heard of failing? I would strongly suspect the reciever would bust before the extension could be ripped from it. I have heard all kinds of internet 'expert' opinions on the subject but have never seen a failure.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, in practical terms, aren't just arguing about splitting hairs? How many commercial tubes have you seen or heard of failing? I would strongly suspect the reciever would bust before the extension could be ripped from it. I have heard all kinds of internet 'expert' opinions on the subject but have never seen a failure.

I suspect the most common failure would be a bent tube before ripping it from the receiver. Unless you tried to use the AR as a tow strap, which is not recommend 7k series or otherwise.

The biggest difference is diameter and the mil specs have flat ends while the commercials are slightly angled. Stocks for commercial will fit on mil-spec tubes but they will fit like throwing a pickle down a hallway. They likely won't lock into the most collapsed position notch either.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some advantages to a tube that is truly mil-spec and they have been covered here. The main difference when looking at aftermarket stocks concerns the slight outside diameter difference between the two. If you want to change the stock, just make sure you get the correct size for your buffer tube. Most of the more popular stocks are available for either size.

Unless that super tacticool buttstock you just have to have is not available for a commercial spec tube, it's probably not worth changing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom