Motivate employees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you all have any ideas on how to motivate employees. I am trying to not be an A**hole but it may come down to that.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell them that there are X amount of people looking for work. You might do some online statistics checking to find out how many people 'X' represents in your area first. If you want to enforce your implied threat of replacement, have contacts that you could call in a moment's notice as fill ins and keep those numbers handy as well. Most of a person's drive to succeed depends on the job that's being done. Is there advancement opportunities? What are the incentives? What's the pay rate?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fred...LOL!! People like you appeal to very few. There are more effective ways to accomplish a goal and motivate people. I suppose you agree with greening as well Fred?

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That ****ing paycheck should be their motivation. But this the 2016, people expect more and do less.

My policy is this,
Don't police employees. Sit down with them.and ask what the problem is and offer a solution.

If they won't be apart of fixing the issue and nothing has changed, cut them loose. Invest in good employees even if they cost more.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Although I'm against hiring friends, build a bond with them if they share similar values. A relationship with your boss can be it's own motivation.

For instance, I started a clay shooting team at my office, we all go out and shoot in our off time.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree it's as simple as if you want to get paid then you must want to work.

More info would be helpful but I am sure they could be doing much worse things. My current work can be a pain but all I have to do is remember having to crawl into a sewer and clean out the dirt that fell in while working construction and watching the poo and the little little white mouse with a big red nose float past. After that my job's not so bad.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found that it's the little things that help to motivate employees. Buy pizza from time to time, it's amazing how something as simple as pizza (food) will motivate the workforce. Mini games work well too. Set small goals for groups (teams) of people to challenge them. Make the prize worth it. Extra vacation day, free lunch, paintball... I've found the fear and threatening will only get you so far for a short period of time and generally will turn the workforce against you.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a dept. lead at a trailer manufacture in El Reno. Most of the employees are glorified burger flippers. My main problem is people working slow/ talking when I leave the area.
I have a hard time understanding how people don't take pride in their work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom