Motivate employees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a dept. lead at a trailer manufacture in El Reno. Most of the employees are glorified burger flippers. My main problem is people working slow/ talking when I leave the area.
I have a hard time understanding how people don't take pride in their work.

Do you tell them they are burger flippers? Are they being paid minimum wage or close? How old are they?

You would treat a low wage teenager different than a low wage adult because they have different motivations and alternatives.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't tell them they are burger flippers. Majority start at 12.00 an hour. Most are early 20s and up age wise.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a burger flipper. If you are in manufacturing, it should be easy to measure productivity. Set some goals and provide incentives. First, find a reward that appeals to them. Second, set a goal they can reach. Third, follow through.

Most people like to leave early on Friday. How about, hey guys if you knock out x number of trailers in the next two weeks, I'll cook burgers for everyone next Friday and you can take the afternoon off. If you motivate the good employees, they will help you police the slackers who might hold the team back.

You shouldn't have to constantly dangle carrots in front of your staff to get them to be productive. Doing it occasionally can make them feel better about their job, accomplishing something as a team and build some good habits.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fred...LOL!! People like you appeal to very few. There are more effective ways to accomplish a goal and motivate people. I suppose you agree with greening as well Fred?
It always worked for me. My philosophy was do the job or go home. We'll find another person to fill your position. Sometimes the slackers went home and we had a new employee three days later. Go figure!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found that it's the little things that help to motivate employees. Buy pizza from time to time, it's amazing how something as simple as pizza (food) will motivate the workforce. Mini games work well too. Set small goals for groups (teams) of people to challenge them. Make the prize worth it. Extra vacation day, free lunch, paintball... I've found the fear and threatening will only get you so far for a short period of time and generally will turn the workforce against you.
I suppose a cheap lunch every now and then would be a good incentive, but to me that is like a kid getting a trophy just for showing up. What does that teach that kid? I'm old school and don't believe in rewarding one for their lack of participation. How is that really fair for others that give their all and how do the others perceive the message that's been sent by that type of act? It's either spare the rod and spoil the child or get some tough love going on. One of those WILL fail you.

Last edited:

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a dept. lead at a trailer manufacture in El Reno. Most of the employees are glorified burger flippers. My main problem is people working slow/ talking when I leave the area.
I have a hard time understanding how people don't take pride in their work.
it's a different work force AR. They aren't taught values and productivity in schools like students were 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom