Mower Blades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well well! The dealer I bought from said it was the high speed of the blades. Hmmmmm! I will look at cutting the discharge deck opening. Thanks on the reply.

I have read about all there is about the issue. I did get some better results by making sure the pitch of the deck was indeed a 1/4 taller in the rear than the front. And that side to side is plumb level.
I’ll check my deck is set correctly. I just remembered that correct tire psi is also helpful. I think is 10-12 psi.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll check my deck is set correctly. I just remembered that correct tire psi is also helpful. I think is 10-12 psi.

What height you mow at with it? And read through this link.

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/fa...m.270300/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#replies

I have never had mine clog up to have to stop and clean it out. Mine just packs up and every 4th to 5th mowing I clean it. Hope these Gator Blades helps with that! Also the water clean out I installed helps a lot.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought my Fastrak 48 new in 2011 and immediately complained to my dealer about having to clean underneath the deck almost every time I mowe. Other than that it has held up well over rough terrain. Kawasaki engine has been outstanding. After a couple of years the dealer told me that it is a deck issue that Hustler should fix on their dime, but they would not. The deck doesn't draft as it should. He said he no longer sells the 48. No problem with the larger decks. It appears to have been remedied with the newer models.

About 4 years ago the dealer suggested a remedy. Cut the grass discharge chute wider. It did help, but is still packs dirt more than it should.

Well well! The dealer I bought from said it was the high speed of the blades. Hmmmmm! I will look at cutting the discharge deck opening. Thanks on the reply.

I have read about all there is about the issue. I did get some better results by making sure the pitch of the deck was indeed a 1/4 taller in the rear than the front. And that side to side is plumb level.
Sometimes raising the grass diverter/deflector an inch or two can help with the packing as it starts at that area and starts building back towards the rest of the under sides of the deck. It also seems to help the flow of the grass exiting

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found over the years it depends on the type of grass your mowing and whether you have high lift blades or not, if you are mowing grasss that holds a lot of moisture it will stick more than those that dont and whether the grass is dry when you mow i try to only mow when the grass is dry but sometimes it aint possible and that is when i have trouble with it sticking plus i bag most of my grass and use xtra high lift blades but if the grass is wet it will stop up my bagging chute and if the back fins on the blades get worn to much it wont throw the grass out .

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@rawhide

Well I did it! Did some more reading on opening the deck chute this morn at 3am! Seems that the piece I cut off is mainly for a grass catcher to be attached. Which I will never use! So I cut it iff and I believe that it is going to be the solution.

4” cut off wheel and went to cutting. After I got it off I went and mowed a section and it blew out grass like it has never did before and it was very wet, stopped it and looked under and no buildup.

I am happy with the results. Photos below shows what I cut off. It was the area suggested to cut off from several forums about Hustlers.

I looked up my records and I have been putting up with this **** since 2016, 8 years!

IMG_5963.jpeg
IMG_5965.jpeg

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@rawhide

Well I did it! Did some more reading on opening the deck chute this morn at 3am! Seems that the piece I cut off is mainly for a grass catcher to be attached. Which I will never use! So I cut it iff and I believe that it is going to be the solution.

4” cut off wheel and went to cutting. After I got it off I went and mowed a section and it blew out grass like it has never did before and it was very wet, stopped it and looked under and no buildup.

I am happy with the results. Photos below shows what I cut off. It was the area suggested to cut off from several forums about Hustlers.

I looked up my records and I have been putting up with this **** since 2016, 8 years!

View attachment 476265View attachment 476266

Great, something else to try with a modification. Luckily for me, the plate on my mower, similar to yours, is a bolt on bracket. And it's a different design where the blade wing goes under the plate.

The rye grass I overseeded last fall has been super wet and builds up in the deck like crazy. I have to either power wash the deck after I mow, or scrape it after the stuff dries.

IMG_9291.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 0

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@rawhide

View attachment 476265View attachment 476266
That's much wider than what my dealer cut off. I may do the same. Thanks for sharing.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's much wider than what my dealer cut off. I may do the same. Thanks for sharing.

@rawhide

Bud I had remarkable results today! We got a good rain last night at midnight. I got out early and did my hour of trimming, then waited till about 4 to mow two hours of the 3 that I do mow. I let one section dry a bit better till tomorrow.

The under deck was clean when I started. I stopped a couple times out of curiosity and found very little buildup anywhere! Mowed the two hours and put it on a cement slab that use to hook the hose to the deck washer. Before hooking up I looked once more and the only build up was at the spot where I cut the section off of I did not grind that area smooth, I will now.

Hooked the hose, lowered the deck all the way down that it can go and 3-4 minutes it was spotless again. I cannot believe I put up with this **** for 7 years of use. It was not so bad at my last resident as it was a full manicured Bermuda lawn with sprinkler system and it only took 30 minutes to mow it. So technically I have put up with this **** for 4 years on this old farm place that is not a solid Bermuda yard. And it is a good 3 hour mow time.

I have a Gravley XD HD 54” that I use on the 1-1/2 acre section and the steep ditch lines. Second season using it and it never fills up bad at all. Damn Hustler MFG! LOL!

Photos show where I was told to put the deck washer in.

IMG_5968.jpeg
IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Mr.Glock

Where did you order the G6 blades?

Cheapest I found was Amazon. And they were free shipping.

I mowed for over a hour this afternoon, we got a bit of rain overnight. No clogging much at all, 2 minutes with hose on the wash out and it was clean as a whistle!

IMG_9735.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom