my how to "tan a coyote hide"...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the trick with the power washer?...I have used my power washer to remove bark from cedar..makes pretty logs...probably something along those lines?

after your first salting you can give it a shot, pretty much the same way with your bark removeing idea, but you gotta be careful not to use one that will cut the hide. my power washer has a tip that sprays pretty solid and wide and should not cut the hide (similiar to the one the taxidermest was using), i have yet to really try...weather... it's just finding the right tip to do the job and you should be set.

we were power washing off some of our deer skulls for mounts and my friend got a new power washer and one the tips will cut a deers nose area OFF and put a small grove into a deer skull, cut into a boot and about an 1/8" to 1/16" gash into plywood, wanna know how i know :hithead: so i will say a tip like that is a no go.

AR_160

New to the site!
Reaction score
Very detailed I like it especially the PVC work bench! The only comment/suggestion I have is that I use my sharpening stick as a tail stripper it works pretty good. It is only about nine inches long when extend and I carry it in my pack with me while I'm hunting. It's blunt enough that I don't have to worry about puttin holes in the hide like I do when I use a knife and u can get all the way to the tip of the tail with it. Just use it like you would a knife and separate the hide from the actual tail as you peel it toasted the tip

AR_160

New to the site!
Reaction score
Also have a question figured this would be a good place for it. I am currently living in Colorado and am going to be moving to Tulsa this summer and was wanting to know the rules and regs on coyote hunting down there. I looked on the Oklahoma division of wildlife (I know that's not what it's called but can't remember the name lol) and couldn't find nething about coyotes on there so I need to season dates license requirements bag limits and the likes. Here in CO the season is year round and there is no bag limit on them. Ne input would be greatly appreciated!

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also have a question figured this would be a good place for it. I am currently living in Colorado and am going to be moving to Tulsa this summer and was wanting to know the rules and regs on coyote hunting down there. I looked on the Oklahoma division of wildlife (I know that's not what it's called but can't remember the name lol) and couldn't find nething about coyotes on there so I need to season dates license requirements bag limits and the likes. Here in CO the season is year round and there is no bag limit on them. Ne input would be greatly appreciated!

here is some info i put togehter with some topics going on here already.... http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111862..... pretty much all year around, look at the first link in the post "when to hunt them" and there you will find the rules/regs on them..

J

jamekin

Especially like the ingenuity of the pvc fleshing station... I have heard or rounding off 2x6s but this seems much easier and probably gives you a better station.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ i would say probably 2-3 coyote hides at least???, depends on what hide you are doing. on a full deer hide i would say probably 2 at most??? Just overall the hides need to be able to float at least. AND MAKE SURE TO USE PLASTIC CONTAINERS. i have read that metal cans can corrode and act differently with the pickle mix.

i am doing two coon hides right now and WOW these are fatty, greasy, and messy compared to the yotes. Once the hides were thawed out i started cutting off everything i could (fat, fat, and more fat). Also my new challenge is keeping them "cased" (i think that is the term?) skinned, NO cutting up the stomach, arms, etc...i am basically keeping the hide all as one, no cutting, the hide basically looks like a tube sock.

Another tip is when doing coons it is a good idea to get another small bucket (i have a 2gallon plastic trash can) and dump some 409 in there to break up the fat and grease off the hide before you pickle them.

What im in process of doing--- (fixing to pickle today)
-thawed out hide and trimmed fat
-soaked them in 409 for about 15min,
-rinse off with tap water and dry off the best i can and pick at them some more
-salted till next day or so
-trimmed off more fat etc...
-soaked them in 409 for about 15min
-rinse off with tap water and dry off the best i can and pick at them some more
-salted till next day
-clean off salt, pick at it and pickle

another thing, since they are cased, is cleaning the meat off that little head is a little harder. so i went and got a 2ft long x 2" round PVC so that it would fit up further into the head, since my original 4" PVC is too big to fit into the head area and since i can not cut them open like a fillet, like i did on the yotes, it is making a little bit time more time friendly with the ol knife. BUT it is something new for me to try and i think so far they are looking good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom