Negligent discharge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After nearly 60 years of handling firearms, I went and did it. Not going into details, other than I was stupid and nobody was hurt. The carpet and some sheet rock suffered damage, but that's it.

For those who have had one, how long does it take to get over it? First thing I did was take every gun out of the house and to a storage building. At this time, I don't care if I ever touch a gun again. I'm sure that will change with time, and I know there is no real answer to how long, but just curious for those of you who have done the same thing, how did it affect you?

I'm seriously considering taking all my guns to a pawn shop and getting rid of them.

I'm aware that this is a very emotional subject, and possibly embarrassing to some, so a PM would be just as acceptable as a public post. I will not share any PM's sent.

Be careful out there folks. I thought I was being careful, but apparently not.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try not to be too hard on yourself. It happened to me 12-15 years ago, can't remember exactly. I was pretty shaken by it also, but thankfully the only thing damaged was the carpet, a little concrete and my nerves. The good side of it is that it will change you, and it is even more unlikely to happen to you again.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad your hand (or leg, etc.) doesn't match your username.

I haven't been in this type of situation before, so I can't pretty any advice. I would like to offer to take those guns off your hands cheap, though. [emoji14]

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had an accidental/negligent discharge.

That's why it's called an accident. Be extremely thankful no-one was hurt or killed.

Nothing wrong with putting them away (for a while) and learning...learning. ..learning from this.

Just like getting bucked off a horse...give it a day to recover and get back on and ride.

Don't sell in haste....just learn from it.

My #1, 2, 3.........89. Rule with a gun is...."it's the empty one that will kill you".

Glad you're a-okay...just shaken up. Give it a few days and put that gun in your hand.

Last edited:

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had mine years ago.

I was loading a single action and closed the loading gate and to let the hammer off half cock pulled it back and dropped it. Yep it hit hard enough to fire the round, having the cylinder cupped in my hand sure hurt but it was pointed in a safe direction. So other than the ribbing I got for weeks about the black burns in my hand all was fine.

They sure do get your attention.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you're uninjured. The more you're around something, the greater the odds of something happening, just like anything else. I know it just takes once, but how many times have you safely handled a firearm compared to the one incident? 100,000:1 ? Glad you're ok. Keep shooting.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I echo Cohiba's response. Don't lock away all your guns. They didn't just go off by themselves.

And also, don't be so hard on yourself. It happens. I'm surprised it took 60 years for it to happen. I've always heard that there are two type of gun owners; those that have had an ND and those that will.

The good thing is, nobody was hurt.

Now basically, I'm talking out of my ass, because I have never experienced an AD or an ND or even an XD (that's a little joke amongst us old-timers of OSA :rollingla) but after 38 years of owning and shooting guns, I'm sure my day will come.

Like the old saying goes...you get thrown off the horse, you gotta get right back on it again.

Good luck to you. :thumb:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should explain. I have a Chinese '97. When fully loaded, the cartridge stops, under recoil, let the waiting cartridge slip down just enough to jam the action. I loaded the mag, and was working the action to watch the cartridge stops. Decided to unload it, had my left hand on the forearm, trigger finger on the slide release button. When I pushed the button, it fired. On a '97, the slide release button is up high on the right side of the frame, so my trigger finger was no where near the trigger. Only thing I can figure, is my middle or ring finger must have bumped the trigger just as I pushed the slide release. I'm not sure, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Doing it now in my mind, and I can't see how I could've bent any other finger down to the trigger, but I reckon I did, whether I can see it now or not.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should explain. I have a Chinese '97. When fully loaded, the cartridge stops, under recoil, let the waiting cartridge slip down just enough to jam the action. I loaded the mag, and was working the action to watch the cartridge stops. Decided to unload it, had my left hand on the forearm, trigger finger on the slide release button. When I pushed the button, it fired. On a '97, the slide release button is up high on the right side of the frame, so my trigger finger was no where near the trigger. Only thing I can figure, is my middle or ring finger must have bumped the trigger just as I pushed the slide release. I'm not sure, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Doing it now in my mind, and I can't see how I could've bent any other finger down to the trigger, but I reckon I did, whether I can see it now or not.

I'd take it back out, load it up and see if you can recreate what might have happened. Maybe it wasn't any of your fingers that made it fire? Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom