Negligent discharge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there, done that, made the home repairs...

It's a learning experience, just like every other learning experience. Your decision on what you do with the guns, but realize you can make the appropriate changes to make sure it doesn't happen again.

You don't sell your car if you get in a wreck, right?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look, don't beat yourself up too much. It sounds like it could be a malfunction. Plus, remember the things you did right; you obviously had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, not your head or the dog.

And obviously, if you were doing something out of the ordinary (telemarketing, underwater BB stacking, updating Facebook, etc.) don't do that anymore!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was about 16, I was home alone. Saw a coyote off in the back pasture. Grabbed my old, totally worn-out Winchester '73 and levered a round into the chamber, at which time it sent a .44-40 slug through the closet and a couple of walls before stopping in the kitchen cabinet about a 1/4 inch from my mom's corn cob dishes.

Actually, it was pretty cool, no one was hurt and no corn cob dishes were damaged. And, I learned a real lesson.

Bring your guns back in the house.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was 19 or so had a Remington model 700 in 7mm mag go off in my dad's house.It shot through the fridge,washer and dryer and 2 walls lucky nobody was sitting in the kitchen.Made the mistake of unloading the gun cycling the bolt and using a friends reloads.I was young and got over the accident but its still fresh in my mind today.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely not a slamfire. I had considered lowering the hammer on each round so I could jack another shell out, then decided to just use the slide release and not have to worry about my thumb slipping off the hammer. I pushed the slide release with my trigger finger and had just put pressure on the forearm when it fired.
I've got an appt with a gunsmith at Ardmore Saturday. Gonna let him go through it before I mess with it again.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet to have a ND, but one incident still stands out in my mind. I opened the safe to show my gf my 03A4, and I pulled back the bolt to check before handing it to her. To my horror, the rifle was loaded with five rounds of M2 ball. I could not remember how I had managed to forget to check before putting up the rifle, and it still remains fresh in my memory several years later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot matches every weekend, so with practice and matches, there is a lot of shooting going on. I had a ND one match. The gun had just came from a Smith to remove some over travel on the trigger. On one stage, I swore it doubled with one pull of the trigger. Something just didn't feel right, and when I got back to reload, one of the guys said it sounded like it doubled.
At the end of the next stage, I was walking back to the start area with the RO to my right, and my finger completely off the trigger. The gun fired, impacting the back berm. A couple of guys in the peanut gallery verified the finger was off the trigger. When I took it back to the gunsmith and related what happened, he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it, but the trigger pull was a little heavier after than.
Truly scary when it went off. Use this as a learning session, and not a personal punishment.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I had one with a revolver about 5-6 years ago. It was my carry gun at the time (S&W 12 .38 Special 2" round butt... sadly I sold it), and after cleaning I loaded it up, realized I hadn't wiped the cylinder off before I closed it, and went to roll the cylinder one chamber to wipe the area I couldn't reach. (I have highly corrosive sweat) It was a model with the pin built into the hammer; it slipped from my thumb and *BANG*. Only damage was to about 12 brand new shirts/pants I had just bought that weekend. And my pride.

Don't sell them rashly!

Latest posts

Top Bottom