Negligent discharge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while but this subject is important...

I had a ND a couple of years ago. I mentally beat myself to hell over the deal. One of my good friends is a well-known and highly respected instructor. He finally got tired of my constant “I knew better” crap and me explaining how mortified I was because “I” of all people knew better etc. He said STOP!! You have to remember it takes TWO safety violations to get someone hurt and I broke one. Barrel pointed in a safe direction and booger picker off the trigger. In my case it shot straight down. I’m not giving myself a pass for violating only one just trying to help you here. It takes TWO safety violations to get someone hurt. That’s why we practice safety in general. If you make a single mistake you might still be okay. Two, someone could die!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine happened just like TRs did. And unluckily for me the wife had just left my shop/studio where it occured and was still just halfway down the hallway to the house. She came running back to see what had happened. I felt like a real dumbazz. My right ear still isnt the same. I just took the gun and put it on the table and left the room and went into the house to de-stress myself. It was a shaky experience and no matter how long youve been handling them- since I was 7 or so, over 40 years for me- its a humbling experience. I also felt like her confidence in me being able to handle my firearms was damaged and that was a little demeaning to myself. Shite happens.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't read all of the comments but it sounds to me like you may have caught a tad bit of PTSD. You may want to google the symptons, to see if it applies to you.
I would send that firearm to a gunsmith and not touch it until he gives you the go ahead. Also, maybe look into getting a few dummy rounds for each caliber firearm you own, that way you're not tempted to use live ammo for gunsmithing activities.

For what it's worth... accidents happen, saw it plenty in the Army. And dare I say... we were professionals, with literally thousands of hours spent no more than an arms reach from our rifles.

Take Care,
Mike

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've almost had a wreck because I did stupid stuff in my vehicle, but you don't sell your car. You learn from your mistakes and go on.

My good high school friend (I think you know him) Kris Jones can tell you about a time we were walking down a road while turkey hunting and my 12 gauge (somehow) fired. I think Kris crapped his pants. I never fingered a trigger again....

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if someone has brought this up. No less a luminary than Jeff Cooper once shot his gas meter. A negligent discharge if ever there was one. When asked by his friends exactly why he had shot his gas meter, Cooper growled, "Because that's what I was aiming at!". Me, I aimed at a door knob. Hit it, too.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happens to even the best of us.

The most important thing to remember is that a firearm is always loaded, and never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy.

That way, even if it does go off negligently or accidentally, it won't blow up something you care about more than sheet rock and carpet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom