New Horizons Spacecraft Approaches Pluto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread Hobbes

You can follow the mission here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/main/#.VLMiziuorIZ

I've been following since launch 10 years ago.

Thank you for the link IndVet. Do you have any advice for a beginner star gazer's first telescope? I have a budget of about a $1,000 and it needs to be of a size that can be carried on a pack horse.

Seems like a planet to me. It's round and has a moon.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread Hobbes

Thank you for the link IndVet. Do you have any advice for a beginner star gazer's first telescope? I have a budget of about a $1,000 and it needs to be of a size that can be carried on a pack horse.

Seems like a planet to me. It's round and has a moon.

I got a Meade 10" Dobsonian reflector a few years ago for that figure, but it's too big to pack. Don't underestimate the power of an expensive set of binoculars; the deep, rich field views you can get from those are spectacular, and they will easily pick up galaxies - any of the Messier objects are within your grasp with good binos.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Meade 10" Dobsonian reflector a few years ago for that figure, but it's too big to pack. Don't underestimate the power of an expensive set of binoculars; the deep, rich field views you can get from those are spectacular, and they will easily pick up galaxies - any of the Messier objects are within your grasp with good binos.
Nice!
I bet the Orion nebula or M13 look great through that.
I'm envious.

I have 11x80 binocs that don't work that well in the city, too much light pollution.
And a 4" compound telescope that I hardly use.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice!
I bet the Orion nebula or M13 look great through that.
I'm envious.

I have 11x80 binocs that don't work that well in the city, too much light pollution.
And a 4" compound telescope that I hardly use.

I have been considering getting a refractor. The silver coating on the mirror of my reflector has tarnished badly over the course of 20 years. But you know, that reflector was able to take me places up there - yes - into the Sword of Orion! Into the Horse's Head! Or, the Hoof of Pegasus! Leading us into the Andromeda! Ahhhhh yes! To be able to discern the division between Cassini's Rings...

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1436979840365.jpg

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been considering getting a refractor. The silver coating on the mirror of my reflector has tarnished badly over the course of 20 years. But you know, that reflector was able to take me places up there - yes - into the Sword of Orion! Into the Horse's Head! Or, the Hoof of Pegasus! Leading us into the Andromeda! Ahhhhh yes! To be able to discern the division between Cassini's Rings...
I would remove the mirror and send it off to be recoated.
On the other hand I'm sure you would like to get a scope with an equatorial mount too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom