No more Gunner's mates, no more Boatswain's mates, etc...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is going to affect morale in the Navy more than anything. Many of those sailors were proud to achieve those ratings. When I was in the AF, we had different "function badges" that were sewn into the utilities similar to the Airborne and CIB patches on the Army uniforms. Ours denoted basic, senior and master levels of our job titles. No difference in pay, but just a little something to be proud of. I know I would be angry if some chair warmer came in and told me I had to take it off.

I wasn't in the Navy, but do the different ratings have any effect on pay or is pay based solely on E-1 through E-9 grades?

To look at it from a bean counters perspective, I'm sure there will be thousands of dollars saved by not having to have rank patches with different ratings sewn in the design.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was an AT (Aviation Electronics Tech) in the Navy and if I was still in this would really piss me off. Our green stripes distinguished us from ships company, and ya we believed we were smarter than the average Boatswain's mate weather it was true or not.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is such a crock of chit! No reason other than political correctness that this is going on. The whole transfer of skills to the civilian world, and the other reasons given could have been accomplished without changing the rating system. If it isn't broke...

Latest posts

Top Bottom