OK bear hunt is a stining money grab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would be up a creek with a 243 or 270 out deer hunting and a grizzley comes around. Fortunatly these are pretty much little 400 poundish black bears. No Daniel Boons here.
Good thing that there is no 9 foot tall 1000+ pound grizleys around, they are not cuite or cuddly and would be hunted into extinction again.
Think of it like this, If you were in the water you wouldnt want to see a shark.
The bear like the shark could eat you if it wanted and there is nothing that you could do about it. NOTHING. It is the largest predetor that we have to worry about besides mountain lions. Fortunately for me Im on the other side of the state were there are non. Just the big kittys.

That's probably why they don't use 243's in Alaska... A mountain lion has just a good of a chance to get you as these big dogs they call black bears here. You are just being paranoid, the number of grizzly attacks vs people roaming Alaska is minute. Just be glad we don't have tigers here...or 70% HIV population

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a poodle chase off a little black bear in new mexico. it may have been the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. I thought that i was going to have to buy my ex another dog, but that little thing scared it off. blew me away.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree most black bears are like the fat kid running from the playground bully, but it only takes the one not to run away but at you LOL. I always figured if I was going to run it might as well be towards the threat and have some fun with it--but I ain't the fat kid on the playground anymore LOL.

Remember with a bear, don't run because you will only die tired :^)

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seadog, you are uneducated on the subject of bears, black and brown/grizzly.

You may be right but I knew a fella down the road that had one for a pet. The old boy made me look small. Im 6'2" bout 235, friend was 6'8" n around 350 somthing. When it was small buba could handle it but after it was a few years old it was more than he could handle n that one was half tame.
I just imagine what a wild one that was hungery would do.
Yup Im paranoid when it comes to things like predators.
Hope the buggers stay on the south eastern side of the state.

Ozark Tracker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my neighbor had an encounter with a Black Bear about 2 years ago, he was brush hoggin his pasture, in one corner there were black berries grown up to about 8 feet tall, he backed into the vines and let the mower down and drive out and do it again. he backed in once and let the mower down and a bear head came up in between the tractor and the mower, my neighbor is 82 years old so he knew he wasn't gonna try to run, but he didn't quite know what to do.
he finally decided to turn off the mower and lift the mower and drive forward, the bear went running out back of the mower and the neighbor straight to the house.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup Im paranoid when it comes to things like predators.
Hope the buggers stay on the south eastern side of the state.
They are not really that much of a predator.
taken from: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Publications/ZooGoer/1999/2/fact-americanblack.cfm

Natural Diet: The American black bear's diet is varied, but mostly vegetarian, including twigs, roots, berries, young plants, and buds. Insects—from beetles to ants to bee larvae eaten with honey—are also important. Small mammals and fish augment the diet, when they are easily caught.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If I plan on doing the black power hunt, which opens Oct 24th, I have to purchase my license no later thatn Oct 23rd. The day before it opens. If you don't get it that day or before than you can't get one.

Man, I've fought the urge to post this pic for too long now - its gotten the best of me:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_BlackPower.jpg

At this point, I'm seriously thinking of making T-shirts or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom