1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oklahoma Law Regarding Knives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cjjtulsa, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter Member

Have been looking over some automatic knives I could carry in lieu of my smaller spring assisted pocket knife when I felt the need to carry it. Anyone familiar with the law regarding these? My understanding is that automatics require some kind of permit (maybe), but spring-assisted don't? The small lockblade I carry for every day use is spring assisted; what would I need to do to legally carry a larger automatic, and is it OK to carry a larger spring assisted knife? Why the discrepancy between "auto" and "assisted"?

According to 21-1272 (I think that's right) it's not unlawful to carry if:

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Does that fall under the CCW?

2. twoguns?

twoguns? Sharpshooter Member

no,,,,the rest is kinda Grey

3. WTJ

WTJ Sharpshooter Member

4. twoguns?

twoguns? Sharpshooter Member

5. Billybob

Billybob Sharpshooter Member

6. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter Member

7. GForce89

GForce89 Sharpshooter Member

I have never been searched and any time i have had contact with le none have said anything about what kind of pocket knife i had. Even the ones i have rode with before. Just don't be a moron and wave it around and if they ask be honest, if your not a felon i am pretty sure they won't do jack.

8. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter Member

But a "spring assisted" is OK, right? They aren't considered a "switchblade" as far as I can see - that should be the automatic.

The posted thread doesn't give much more insight into the law, either. My concern isn't so much getting caught carrying one, but if I ever had to use one in self defense. Don't want to get grilled in court.

9. Wing_Master01

Wing_Master01 New to the site! Member

I agree... out on the town stick to you spring assist opening knife. Less problems.

10. Lithiumokc

Lithiumokc Sharpshooter Member

"knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife"

This part is what clears it up IMO, most of the assisted opening knives are opened by a stud or "Lip" on the blade itself, not in the handle.