OMG allergic reaction to antibiotic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dermatologist worked on a nasty big cyst on my back Thursday and put me on Doxycycline. Started taking it 1 pill Thursday night and took 2 on Friday. Upset stomach Friday evening and 3am Saturday morning I woke up 100% coveŕed in hives and on fire itching like a roll in chiggers. Then difficulty swallowing. Took benadryl and talked to pharmacist when they openened Sunday.. He told me to definately discontinue taking the drug and to take more benadryl and call my doc this morning.
Arrrgh still on fire itching this morning.
I missed hunting both Saturday and Sunday.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i can't do the cyclines for that same reason. Though i recently struggled with cednifir (it made me unable to regulate my body temp) and the cephalexin they switched me to caused several ligament strain (which i never knew was a thing until then).

hope you start feeling better soon

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH man I feel your pain and the itch from the inside of your body is murder.

Had that happen after a wasp sting.
I had blisters come up all over my back and it was a red wasp that stung me in the forehead.
Hands were itchy and all the rest of my body.

I took 2 benadryls with water and then chewed one up and then i needed adrenaline so i took off running to get that.
The park is 100 yards away and I ran there and made a few laps around the play ground and ran back home etc.

That did it.
Well after 2 hours anyway.
I state that because I do not know how much benadryl you took or if you can run.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Penicillin nearly killed one of my sisters back in the day. My dad was a split second away from doing a tracheotomy on his 6 year old daughter when she gasped so hard she lurched up off the floor of the van. Hospital got her fixed up but we were never without epinephrine again ...

I'll be honest -- maybe seeing that jaded me a bit but I'm SHOCKED he didn't tell you to go to the ER.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to minor ER and asked for a shot of benadryl and they would not give me a shot. Wrote me a script for Prednisone, UGH I hate it, and some cortisone cream and told me to take 50mg oral benadryl 8x/24hrs along with the big dose prednisone and to take pepcid and zyrtec so everybody in my gut plays nice with each other and go see Dermatologist tomorrow afternoon in Tulsa.
I spent $95 on the whole bottle of doxycycline that goes in the trash and $65 for prednisone and cortisone and other pills today. Weeeeeeeee
I itch like I rolled in chigger infested vetch seed

Arrrrgh you gotta be tough to live like this

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your pharmacy & every doc you have has this allergy documented in your record. If it happens again, you may not be so fortunate. Good luck & be careful in the future.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s rough man, sorry to hear it. Doxycycline is some gnarly stuff. I had to take it for a year as an anti malarial. Caused some crazy dreams, sensitivity to sunlight, and lactose intolerance. 13 years later, I’m still lactose intolerant to an extent.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had a dental implant installed last month and have to take Doxycycline for the next 2 months. No problems for me. It's actually the most mild antibiotic I've taken. Now, when I take Augmenton, the Dr. puts me on 875mg, and do not, REPEAT, do not enter the bathroom after I've been in there. That one really destroys my flora.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your pharmacy & every doc you have has this allergy documented in your record. If it happens again, you may not be so fortunate. Good luck & be careful in the future.
Also get a med-bracelet or 'dog tag' that lists your allergy. Had several EMT's that told me those are the first things they look for when they get called for an unconscious patent with no one else around to tell what happened and it's obviously not an accident or drug thing.

1699299906780.jpeg

or
1699300007853.jpeg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A person can go all their life an not be allergic to a medication and then one day, things have changed and we can have a reaction which is some cases is a true emergency. That's why they "try" to keep us in the vicinity if we receive a certain injection,

Latest posts

Top Bottom