Owls. Good omen or bad omen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
had to stop in the road saturday night for a barn owl. it looked me in the eyes. monday afternoon, slammed into a deer. told my wife he tried to warn me, but i didn't listen.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barred owls find my backyard fascinating. Actually, they consider the trees that are closest to my bedroom window to be their favorite. About every other night--usually between 2am and 4am--they come to sing me the song of their people. At top volume.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a fairly high number of owls that hang around my homestead. Hear them all the time. Once in a while, one or two will come up by the house for several evenings in a row to hunt grasshoppers or cicadas. They walk around on the ground quite a bit when they hunt them. I find an individual owl feather in the yard every few days during that time. The squirrel population around the house goes up and then they all disappear for a while. I just suppose it's those owls getting them too. They're just part of nature and the food chain. Kinda cool to watch. Sometimes it's amazing how close they will let you get before they fly off. I don't stalk them, but just do the yard work as normal. Many, many years ago when I was a kid, I found one with a broken wing down by the creek. I had the crazy idea I would help it, or whatever. Bad idea!! He was a vicious SOB and chased me away from my good intentions in a hurry!

Seminarian

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm the human neighbor of the midtown barred owls. They have lived in our tree for 5+ years. I am also a graduate seminary student with native american background. Christianity, World Religions, Theology is what I do. Various Ancient American Indian tribes viewed owls as a (1) sign of sickness & death or (2) protective spirits or (3) the souls of living or recently departed people & should be treated with respect or (4) earthly incarnations of their gods. I have always understood owls to be sign of rebirth/new life. They come in once a year, lay eggs, have owlets, and they're awesome pest control. Anyways, to answer the Q about owls being some kind of omen--> there is no causal connection between seeing an owl and death. I suppose if one believes the omen mythology, saw an owl, freaked, and shot it dead, that something could be said for setting up bad karma...but that would be for killing a protected species...not because of the owl :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom