Pesky little armadillo critters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Armadillos are often used in the study of leprosy, since they, along with mangabey monkeys, rabbits, and mice (on their footpads), are among the few known species that can contract the disease systemically. They are particularly susceptible due to their unusually low body temperature, which is hospitable to the leprosy bacterium, Mycobacterium leprae. (The leprosy bacterium is difficult to culture and armadillos have a body temperature of 34 °C (93 °F), similar to human skin.) [15] Humans can acquire a leprosy infection from armadillos by handling them or consuming armadillo meat.[16] Armadillos are a presumed vector and natural reservoir for the disease in Texas and Louisiana and Florida.[17][18] Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the late 15th century, leprosy was unknown in the New World. Given that armadillos are native to the New World, at some point they must have acquired the disease from humans

Contrary to the social stigma, leprosy is not highly contagious, and does not cause body parts to fall off. In fact, 95% of the world's population is naturally immune to the disease and, once diagnosed, a person is easily cured. Transmission from human to human is through respiratory droplets
I still would not risk it.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as I thought. The bud released the critter to a new location. I was hoping it was in the trap long enough to have laid eggs. I just loves me some armadillo eggs!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not good. Dillers need killed.
Buddy trapped a bunch of squirrels in town last year thinking he was going to get rid of them. He released 10 into a city park in a freedom squirrel movement.
The city park department found about it, and he got a nice fine for transferring wildlife without a permit. Kill em!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many of those things we shot with our bows as kids, dozens and dozens. Germex wasn't invented yet, we didn't carry soap and water or rubber gloves with us. We'd just yank out our arrows and go look for more, catching leprosy never was a worry, making sure we caught up to the armadillo running off with our arrows was lol.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not good. Dillers need killed.
Buddy trapped a bunch of squirrels in town last year thinking he was going to get rid of them. He released 10 into a city park in a freedom squirrel movement.
The city park department found about it, and he got a nice fine for transferring wildlife without a permit. Kill em!
Hmmm, this sounds like some more of that "no good deed goes unpunished" crap. Do these burrowing critters dislike vibration like gophers and moles, or are they not bothered by it? I was thinking of trying some of those gopher stakes. He has a gopher problem as well, so was hoping maybe I could kill two stones with one bird. Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think vibration has any effect on dillers.
Those gopher vibrators just move them to a different part of the yard or the neighbors and they just come back.
Trapping is the only way to control them. I've tried a half dozen different designs finally settling on the gophinator as the best. Over the years I've removed dozens of them from our yard. Follow the instructions in the link and you can't miss.
http://www.traplineproducts.com/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have eaten 4 of them so far.. used to chase them down and catch them.
Friends daughter and her girl friend would chase them down and tackle them.. no teeth in their mouth.
She made a pet out of one.
They are very tasty.
I get one during bow season if the deer are scarce and cook it up in camp.
You guys need to man up.... when the SHTF I do not want to be the only one left running with the cockroaches.

My guts are Y2K compliant.

If they do have leprosy it will be noticed as dry skin at the extremities like the tip of the nose tip of the tail or tips of the ears.
looks like eczema from what I hear.

Leprosy and parvo and other bad stuff is in the soil.
You are more likely to get bad stuff by getting dirt on your meat when cleaning the deer or other critter in the woods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom