Pesky little armadillo critters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and I were on our deer lease near Perry doing some scouting recently. My son had an armadillo following him around and not caring a bit that the human was there. I've only seen that kind of behavior from very young armadillos.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid living on the farm, one of these critters lived under the porch of our trailer home. I played with it on occasion, but it always kept about a 4 foot distance from me. This one ate popcorn. I knew that because I fed it to him, but haven't been able to lure another with popcorn. It was up on the porch early one morning and my stepdad murderized it with a shotgun. After that, the billy goat took up residency. I guess the Armadillo was keeping the goat away. The billy goat was a far worse nuissance. LoL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can easily hold their breath 4-6 minutes walking across creek bottoms under water, or longer distances by swimming.
Armadillos like to swim, and they are very good at it. They have a strong dog paddle, and can even go quite a distance underwater, walking along the bottom of streams and ponds. They can hold their breath for four to six minutes at a time. When they need to cross larger bodies of water, they swim across. Because their heavy shell makes it hard for them to float, they gulp air into their intestines to make them more buoyant. The ability to cross streams and rivers has helped armadillos expand.

https://armadillo-online.org/facts.html

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple weekends ago I heard the cat's dish making noise out in our sunroom, which was unusual for 11 PM. My wife said she had been hearing it all week. I went and looked out the sliding glass door and saw one of these nasty creatures eating out of the cat's dish while she just watched.
upload_2016-10-20_23-0-50.png

It had come in through the doggy door. I grabbed a baseball bat and went after it and it just sauntered away like no big deal, but it wasn't smart enough to find the door again. I had to shove it towards the now open human door and it lunged at me and latched on to the end of that bat...glad that wasn't my leg. I got it outside and went all Barry Bonds on it's noggin'. Took 3 full swings directly connecting to it's head before it gave up the ghost.

A few nights later I heard the same noise and it was a different one out there. This one must have seen what happened to the last one because by the time I got the sliding door open it was gone! I don't think I've ever seen a possum move that fast! Now we have to keep the damn doggy door blocked every night. No telling how many of them knew about that food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom