Presidential debates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think highly of myself. I surround myself with people much better than me, and that sure is humbling. I am, however, an open-minded scientist, readily willing to learn and change my mind. So far, there is absolutely no convincing reason to waste a vote on either Drumpf or Hillarias; and very convincing reasons to vote 3rd party, and let the republic burn if it doesn't work out.
What possible compelling reason couild there be in this specific instance? Johnson won't get a drop in the bucket and certainly not enough to help any down ticket L's.

The L's are never going to get any traction until they overcome local D/R friction and prove they can win and effectively hold office at the local and state level. Johnson and Weld didn't do that. They're R's masquerading as L's for the big dance. They're the political equivalent of wedding crashers.

I enjoy shooting skeet, but I'm not going to decide to shoot skeet professionally and immediately go out for the Olympic team.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What possible compelling reason couild there be in this specific instance? Johnson won't get a drop in the bucket and certainly not enough to help any down ticket L's.

The L's are never going to get any traction until they overcome local D/R friction and prove they can win and effectively hold office at the local and state level. Johnson and Weld didn't do that. They're R's masquerading as L's for the big dance. They're the political equivalent of wedding crashers.

I enjoy shooting skeet, but I'm not going to decide to shoot skeet professionally and immediately go out for the Olympic team.
Chicken and egg.

Want to win down ticket elections? You need the money for the campaigns ($3/vote in Oklahoma). That assumes you have a party affiliation denoted on the ballot that the 90% of voters who don't research individual candidates but at least have an idea of the basic platforms of different parties.

Want to have party affiliation on the ballot? $5-$6/signature for a party ballot access petition and then getting the required percentage of votes in the top race on the ballot (Presidential or Gubernatorial depending on the year).

The requirement for this election was lowered to 2.5%, which should be attainable.

Trump is a lock in Oklahoma. In the past, 30% of ballots cast have had the straight party box checked for Republican, 10% for Democrat. Given the overwhelming R victories in the legislature, one shouldn't expect that to change. That's why I encourage people who don't want to vote for Trump, but also can't stand Clinton, to cast a vote for Johnson in Oklahoma. Most are still going to go "lesser of two" and hold their nose while voting for Trump, but if a few of those cast their vote for Johnson then we can run local and state elections through the next Gubernatorial election.

I've had several people ask me about Johnson since the school year started. (My sign is where about 1/4 of parents picking up their kids at the nearby elementary school have to walk by.) Will they vote for him? I don't know.

By the way, that sign seems to work as politician repellent. Seriously. They've knocked on the doors around me, but not mine.

I read here all the time that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Clinton. What's funny is every Clinton supporter I've interacted with says a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump. Polls that include the 18-34 age group (unlike the CNN/ORC poll used for the debates) show Johnson pulling more votes from Clinton than Trump nationally.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trump had to debate two people Lester Holt and Hillary Clinton. I am not sure there was a winner, I know America is losing in this one. I'll vote for Trump because I am a conservative. I would just sit it out as I did Bush's second election, but It is about Supreme Court justices this time around. The prosperity of our nation is in danger.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chicken and egg.

Want to win down ticket elections? You need the money for the campaigns ($3/vote in Oklahoma). That assumes you have a party affiliation denoted on the ballot that the 90% of voters who don't research individual candidates but at least have an idea of the basic platforms of different parties.

Want to have party affiliation on the ballot? $5-$6/signature for a party ballot access petition and then getting the required percentage of votes in the top race on the ballot (Presidential or Gubernatorial depending on the year).

The requirement for this election was lowered to 2.5%, which should be attainable.

Trump is a lock in Oklahoma. In the past, 30% of ballots cast have had the straight party box checked for Republican, 10% for Democrat. Given the overwhelming R victories in the legislature, one shouldn't expect that to change. That's why I encourage people who don't want to vote for Trump, but also can't stand Clinton, to cast a vote for Johnson in Oklahoma. Most are still going to go "lesser of two" and hold their nose while voting for Trump, but if a few of those cast their vote for Johnson then we can run local and state elections through the next Gubernatorial election.

I've had several people ask me about Johnson since the school year started. (My sign is where about 1/4 of parents picking up their kids at the nearby elementary school have to walk by.) Will they vote for him? I don't know.

By the way, that sign seems to work as politician repellent. Seriously. They've knocked on the doors around me, but not mine.

I read here all the time that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Clinton. What's funny is every Clinton supporter I've interacted with says a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump. Polls that include the 18-34 age group (unlike the CNN/ORC poll used for the debates) show Johnson pulling more votes from Clinton than Trump nationally.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk
As a theme in class, I went to pick up Trump and Clinton signs for my wife's and my classroom for kids to talk and debate about the election. The Republican headquarters gave me a yard sign and ran after me in the parking lot to give me a point of view handout on the state questions.
The Democrats wanted $5 for a yard sign and crossed his fingers that kids would grow up and vote.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You coulda picked Ridge as your running mate then both of the smartest people on OSA woulda been in the running. I mean come on! Both of you guys use big words and everything. .

i just went and looked through a few weeks worth of my recent posts and i don't think i used any uncommon words or any words the slowest kid in 4th grade couldn't define. maybe it's you, jack?

Latest posts

Top Bottom