Presidential debates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read here all the time that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Clinton. What's funny is every Clinton supporter I've interacted with says a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump. Polls that include the 18-34 age group (unlike the CNN/ORC poll used for the debates) show Johnson pulling more votes from Clinton than Trump nationally.

a vote for johnson is a vote for clinton, because a libertarian is a republican that thinks he's too intelligent to be associated with dumb republicans.

a vote for stein is a vote for trump, because a green party voter is a democrat who thinks he's to pure to be associated with corrupt democrats.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reaction to the debate from a legally naturalized U.S. citizen:

...Donald Trump was emphatic about protecting American jobs and our national economy, if necessary by renegotiating international trade agreements, restricting immigration, etc. Hillary Clinton was much more globalist in orientation, looking to admit more refugees, work together with other nations (whatever that means), and so on. She basically saw the United States as just one nation among many, whereas Donald Trump saw it as the 'first among equals' with the right to put its own interests first....

The tide of economic migrants from the Third World to the First World is ever-increasing, because the populations of Third World countries have increased so drastically that they have no expectation of anything worthwhile if they stay there. There will never be enough jobs, enough social support structures, enough housing, enough health care, to meet their needs: so they're trying to move to a place that can offer them those things. Unfortunately, by seeking to leech off the American or European taxpayer, they're imposing an impossible burden on us - one that's completely unsustainable.

That's what this election is all about. If we allow Hillary Clinton's policies to prevail, the Third World will be all around us within a few years (it already is, in some parts of this country). America will be dragged down - economically, socially, and in due course politically - to the level of most of South America. If Donald Trump's policies prevail, the tide may yet be stemmed, and even, perhaps, reversed. I'm not at all sure that Mr. Trump will make a good President; but I am sure that in this area at least, the policies he's expressed are light years ahead of his opponent's.
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.de/

If you do not agree then you are "deplorable".

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i just went and looked through a few weeks worth of my recent posts and i don't think i used any uncommon words or any words the slowest kid in 4th grade couldn't define. maybe it's you, jack?

See, here ya go again picking on kids with learning disabilities. I was the slowest kid in 4th grade. Big deal, neither one of us is in 4th grade anymore. It's time ya let it go and quit trying to be the play ground bully.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note:

Third parties have been significant in the past and have bumped out other parties and became one of the "big two." It seems to me we are near one of those moments in time. Whether it is now or within the next two or three elections, it is coming. Once the dichotomy between the "big two" is harder and harder to distinguish, conservatives will prevail in a separation from those two parties, form their own party, and whatever is left will meld into what they actually are now but under one moniker.

Woody

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pray tell, barring a flawed interpretation through one's own filter of false dichotomies, where have I defended her?

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk
Posts 95, 96 and 106. Telling me my interpretations are flawed and filtered through falsew dichotomies, doesn't make it true. I don't care if you're playing devils advocate or not, you're taking a flawed (yes I'm using your dishonest debate tactic against you) position and using it to support Hillary's scurrilous attack schemes that were perpetrated in coordination with Holt.

Stop doing that and I'll stop calling you out on it. :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chicken and egg.

Want to win down ticket elections? You need the money for the campaigns ($3/vote in Oklahoma). That assumes you have a party affiliation denoted on the ballot that the 90% of voters who don't research individual candidates but at least have an idea of the basic platforms of different parties.

Want to have party affiliation on the ballot? $5-$6/signature for a party ballot access petition and then getting the required percentage of votes in the top race on the ballot (Presidential or Gubernatorial depending on the year).

The requirement for this election was lowered to 2.5%, which should be attainable.

Trump is a lock in Oklahoma. In the past, 30% of ballots cast have had the straight party box checked for Republican, 10% for Democrat. Given the overwhelming R victories in the legislature, one shouldn't expect that to change. That's why I encourage people who don't want to vote for Trump, but also can't stand Clinton, to cast a vote for Johnson in Oklahoma. Most are still going to go "lesser of two" and hold their nose while voting for Trump, but if a few of those cast their vote for Johnson then we can run local and state elections through the next Gubernatorial election.

I've had several people ask me about Johnson since the school year started. (My sign is where about 1/4 of parents picking up their kids at the nearby elementary school have to walk by.) Will they vote for him? I don't know.

By the way, that sign seems to work as politician repellent. Seriously. They've knocked on the doors around me, but not mine.

I read here all the time that a vote for Johnson is a vote for Clinton. What's funny is every Clinton supporter I've interacted with says a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump. Polls that include the 18-34 age group (unlike the CNN/ORC poll used for the debates) show Johnson pulling more votes from Clinton than Trump nationally.

Sent from my Nokia 6100 using Tapatalk
Well your party needs a whole lot more egg and a whole lot less chicken! ;)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note:

Third parties have been significant in the past and have bumped out other parties and became one of the "big two." It seems to me we are near one of those moments in time. Whether it is now or within the next two or three elections, it is coming. Once the dichotomy between the "big two" is harder and harder to distinguish, conservatives will prevail in a separation from those two parties, form their own party, and whatever is left will meld into what they actually are now but under one moniker.

Woody
I agree completely, but they need to start at the local grass roots level like Bernie did, not on the West Lawn. :(

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What possible compelling reason couild there be in this specific instance? Johnson won't get a drop in the bucket and certainly not enough to help any down ticket L's.

The L's are never going to get any traction until they overcome local D/R friction and prove they can win and effectively hold office at the local and state level. Johnson and Weld didn't do that. They're R's masquerading as L's for the big dance. They're the political equivalent of wedding crashers.

I enjoy shooting skeet, but I'm not going to decide to shoot skeet professionally and immediately go out for the Olympic team.
That premise rests on the false assumption that this kind of change can only work bottom-up. However, sometimes change isn't bottom-up, but is top-down. It can work both ways, assuming the ideology is strong and practical enough to make any change at all (and I'm not sure that libertarianism, overall, is).

Latest posts

Top Bottom