Question for .22 rifle affectionados

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was in college (a long, long time ago) I had a little Browning .22 semi-auto rifle. It broke down into two pieces and I remember it as a great little gun. Long story short, I am wanting to replace it. Couple of questions. Is this rifle as good as I seem to remember? What's the real story on Belgium vs recent manufacture Brownings? I will just use it as a plinker and maybe a squirrel or two. Also, I am in the minority but I am not too keen on the Ruger 10/22 so that really would not be an option. Thanks in advance.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a browning SA22 like you describe that was made in belgium. Very nice little shooter, reliable, and fun to shoot. You couldn't scope it really since it came apart (couldn't hold a reliable zero), but the iron sights worked just fine. I really liked the load through the stock option, although it wasn't as fast as some other models. I ended up selling it and bought two Henry 22 lever actions. I think the newer ones are made in Japan. A friend has one and likes it and it seems to shoot fine. It just didn't seem as finished/refined/smooth as my belgium made SA22.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on everything Soulman said. Also, if you can find a Remington 241 Speedmaster you will notice that it's the same gun as the Browning, the Browning is just a little fancier.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was in college (a long, long time ago) I had a little Browning .22 semi-auto rifle. It broke down into two pieces and I remember it as a great little gun. Long story short, I am wanting to replace it. Couple of questions. Is this rifle as good as I seem to remember? What's the real story on Belgium vs recent manufacture Brownings? I will just use it as a plinker and maybe a squirrel or two. Also, I am in the minority but I am not too keen on the Ruger 10/22 so that really would not be an option. Thanks in advance.

Yes. I've had mine (made in Japan) for 25 years and still love shooting it. It gets more use than my custom 10-22 does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom