Re-enlistment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are working in a career field that has a demand on the civilian side at the same location you are now, I'd consider switching over to the reserves. If you were hired as a civilian employee you may get two to three times the pay plus some extra benefits for the same job you're doing now. Plus, you may get some chances to further your training and certifications which could lead to more pay. Then, when you get your twenty years in, retire from the reserves. Then when you get tired of working on the civilian side you'd have a nice retirement built up with two retirements. Minus the expenses of relocating.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im an Aviation Structural mechanic. Iv been to the basic "A" School, Hydraulic "C" School, and soon Corrosion "C" School. I have experience in Both intermediate and Organizational level maintenance. I didnt sign up for TSP unfortunately, but have been saving money since I joined. I already talked to some of the career people, and my situation is complicated due to a screw up from my last commands admin office.

OK - I just got back to the thread to read your reply and all the others that have chimed in with advice. Each of those replies has some good info so I recommend reading the whole thread at least TWICE and sleeping on it. Then, come back and re-read the whole thread again so you can start making a list of what makes sense for you and your situation. Start to formulate PLAN A and PLAN B and PLAN C. After you make the plans, sleep on it and come back to them the next day. Run a PRO & CON list on each plan. Ask yourself a series of WHAT IF questions on each plan to determine options. Ask a series of WHY questions to get down to a root understanding of why any of the plans are superior to the other or if they require some customization. Then, maybe, you have enough info to start making decisions to seek out information from the various sources already mentioned in the thread. Use this information to prove/dis-prove the validity of any assumption within any of the plans. Start to whittle out a reality from your research. Determine what it takes to make that reality come true for you and get going on the plan. I'd recommend that any plan include a route to a degree. All plans should give options for the twists and turns of life. The degree is one of the best option makers out there. Just don't go into debt to get it because there's no ROI in that.

Now, here's my advice on a career area that could enhance either your military or civilian career. I suggest you look into Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) training. If you read the details that Dennis had in his various posts, you can see where NDT folds into those plant maintenance and operations areas that you already have received great training and experience for in the Navy. I would use the previous command's errors as a lever with the re-enlistment people to get the school and assignment you want. If they can't do that plus fix your records so it doesn't haunt you in the future, work your plan to hit civilian life ASAP. Consider the advice for reserve service as a bonus for further training to enhance your civilian career while working toward that retirement check at 60.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've worked at the VA Hosital in OKC for nearly 20 years and a LOT of vets that come in say they wish they'd stayed in the military and retired. You can take that at what it's worth but if you couple your military retirement with a federal retirement-or state, draw Social Security, you've pretty well set yourself up very nicely. The way I did it, I rat holed my military retirement, didn't live above my means and lived off the VA salary and when I retired from the VA I had a nice nest egg.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the other guys said similar, didn't tag the whole thread... use this opportunity to switch your MOS(job) to something HIGH TECH useful in the civilian sector, and preferably something as gauranteed as possible to be payed for by the government in the long term... Satelite intel, intel analysist, information security, cyber security, any and all things UAV and robotics! Or low tech, high skill, like special forces or the yahoo that maintains those nuclear engines on the subs. All of these should have good futures after the military. Use your TA and apply yourself in college, if for some reason you don't have it, get it now, a re-enlistment above all else, is a renegotiation of contract, now get to negotiating!!!

But first, watch Samuel L. Jackson in "The Negotiator" it's one of my favorites!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are working in a career field that has a demand on the civilian side at the same location you are now, I'd consider switching over to the reserves. If you were hired as a civilian employee you may get two to three times the pay plus some extra benefits for the same job you're doing now. Plus, you may get some chances to further your training and certifications which could lead to more pay. Then, when you get your twenty years in, retire from the reserves. Then when you get tired of working on the civilian side you'd have a nice retirement built up with two retirements. Minus the expenses of relocating.

This is basically what my Dad did. He was drawing military and civil service retirements, plus his SS, plus he was working as self employed. He did pretty good for awhile before he passed. @been he was an A&P mechanic when he was putting on a uniform every day. He did a full enlistment in the Air Force, got out, went full time Army Guard and then transferred to full time Air Guard. They retired him out medical for a bad back.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First - unless you positively hate it, stay in. Second - if you have the chance to re-up for a field you like better or you feel would serve you better if/when you do eventually leave the military, do that also. There are much worse ways to live and earn a living. JMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay in the navy as long as you can and try to pick up a trade you would enjoy while you are there.More important, stay single for as long as you can.Many of my friends are on their 3rd or 4th wife,getting close to 60 and couldn't come up with 1000 dollars if they had to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay in the navy as long as you can and try to pick up a trade you would enjoy while you are there.More important, stay single for as long as you can.Many of my friends are on their 3rd or 4th wife,getting close to 60 and couldn't come up with 1000 dollars if they had to.
Lots of truth there. Keep that whanger bagged up and don't get child support payments that will drain you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom