Recommend filler for driveway expansion joints?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fill the gap with foam backer rod the use Sonneborn SL1 sealant. It is "self leveling" so it will fill all the voids and look great. It will run down hill fast so you should only use it on the horizontal joints. Use the matching NP-1 for the slope joints. You can get it at Maxwell's or SSI on Lincoln & 36th. You should stay away from silicone for concrete joints.

Why is this?

Also, if the joints run all the way to the edge of the drive, should you cut the foam backer a bit back from the edge and fill the entire edge with sealant? I mean, if you run foam to the edge and only seal on top of it, then water can run under the sealant and along the foam, defeating the purpose of sealing, right?

BadWin45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Erick and Ronny have it exactly right. Open cell backer rod covered with a self-leveling urethane sealant such as the Sonneborn SL-1 or the Sika. I know that Home Depot carries Sika products. Silicone will not adhere well to concrete. Let me ask the spec writer at work in the AM (I work for an arch. Firm) and I'll pass along a better explanation.

BadWin45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find an answer that satisfies ME but I'm difficult... The best I can come up with is that polyurethane sealants are used for paving sealants because of their elasticity and abrasion/puncture resistance. Some silicone sealants such as Dow-Corning 790 can be used for concrete on non-wear surfaces.

Here's a link to Sonneborn's SL1 data sheet: SL1

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is this?

Also, if the joints run all the way to the edge of the drive, should you cut the foam backer a bit back from the edge and fill the entire edge with sealant? I mean, if you run foam to the edge and only seal on top of it, then water can run under the sealant and along the foam, defeating the purpose of sealing, right?

Silicone does not adhere to concrete that well but the kicker is that the concrete moves too much. Expanding and contraction will break the seal over time

No you do not want to seal the ends of the joint. Any moisture that is or may get trapped under the joint will need to be ale to escape there

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fill the gap with foam backer rod the use Sonneborn SL1 sealant. It is "self leveling" so it will fill all the voids and look great. It will run down hill fast so you should only use it on the horizontal joints. Use the matching NP-1 for the slope joints. You can get it at Maxwell's or SSI on Lincoln & 36th. You should stay away from silicone for concrete joints.

+1 These are great products.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not surprising Danny.

I know your tricks Danny!

ai.imgur.com_me2W2l.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom