Renovating a house, cabinet question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tore out all the cabinets in a rent house and now have to figure out what to do. Got a quote from a prefab cabinet place but they look pretty cheap.

What is the comparison to custom built cabinets, pricewise?

Best places in okc to buy cabinets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i have a couple friends redoing kitchens right now. semi custom starts at 3k and goes up from there. and thats unfinished.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spend the money and get wood/plywood. The particle board ones in rent houses disintegrate rather quickly. ask for treated plywood bottom under sink. most will put in particle board and between the household chemicals and the inevitable leak it will be the first place to go bad.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a place in Guthrie that does custom cabinets. Saw what they were using a year ago and they were decent, mainly frames skinned in thin plywood but everything was milled on site. There is the place down off of 10th and rockwell as well but other than looking around a bit never paid a lot of attention.

Definitely want something that is as solid as possible for a rent house. You can always go over the edges and uncoated panels/interior with a good paint to keep them from rotting out and even if they were treated I would probably still do that. Made an aquarium out of 3/4 birch veneer russian ply that way. Stained and poly'ed the outside and all the edges, bottom and inside were painted with a couple coats of white paint like what would be used in a bathroom.

My father just tore cabinets out of his place and is looking at some prefab assemble on site stuff. If you don't mind ordering online and waiting a bit then putting them together they seem like a decent build. http://www.cabinetsmadeez.com/ready-to-assemble-cabinets-prices/cambridge-cherry/ 1/2 inch plywood construction and solid fronts drawers. Prefinished but it's the time twiddling your thumbs waiting for them to show up. He put in his order today and I get to try and be out there around the 22nd of next month to help put them in among other things.

I can't remember if it was the same company as linked but they did a rendering for his setup and he ordered them tonight.

Glisar1.png

From what I understand the place he was looking at had a sale that ends tonight where approx 3k worth of cabinets was going to run around 2200.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Custom oak cabinets cost so much, it would take a long time to recoup the investment. Unless its a high end rental, your best going with the prefab, then your facing the fact that no wall in an older home is ever plumb or level. That can be a challenge.

If the base cabinets are sound, look into just getting doors to fit the cabinets. Much cheaper than going full cabinet.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna do new cabinets. Gonna cost me a bundle though. The stupid ones we have have an ugly scalloped edge on the top we'd either have to cut off or something, or just put new cabinets in. <sigh> We have a lot of counter and cabinet space. I bet it would be $10k+ to do all new cabinets in my place.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to my father today about his. www.thertastore.com was where he got his. Ended up getting 30 percent off for Memorial Day and free shipping.

He said the cost was $2514 with $1022 off and the shipping would have been $360.00. So if you can wait till around Independence Day you can probably catch another sale that will be close to the same if not better. I would suggest getting things together a few weeks before so that you can have everything planned out if you go that route.

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The last time I was in the ones in OKC, they had a selection of new, pre-finished cabinets.
I didn't check to see what sizes they had, but it would be worth a visit, especially since they're going in a rent house.
Rick W

Latest posts

Top Bottom